The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.71 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Where in the OP did it say he was going to the dugout? You are just exaggerating the situation and twisting it in an attempt to make me look like an idiot. Not appreciated. In the OP the runner turned to pick up a bat up the 1B line and was in the line of the throw to a catcher who was going to field it.

Whether you like it or not, there is rules justification that it CAN be INT in the OP. There is NO rules justification saying that it can NEVER be INT. I'd rather umpire the game using the rules provided, in conjunction with my judgment in applying those rules, and if it gets me my schedule pulled, at least I kept my integrity and dignity.
Wow.

Since you took the gloves off...

From the original post:
[QUOTE]First and second, nobody out.

Base hit to left. Runner on second scores, runner from first goes to third. Throw comes to the plate wide on the first base side. Runner who scored from second, crosses the plate and veers left to pick up the bat
on the way to the dugout. The throw bounces and hits him in the back, preventing the catcher from getting the throw when he most likely had a play at second on the BR.[/QUOTE]

Nowhere does he state that the runner was in fair territory, up the first base line or doing anything intentiona, blatantly ignorant or otherwise devious. Maybe where you umpire the runners cross the plate without taking a step or two beyond. Around here, when scoring from second with a throw coming in to get them, they are at full speed and require a few steps past the dish.

If you feel like an idiot, it is your inability to read that causes it. I did nothing to change the OP! Nothing.

You made a mistake. You attempted to ridicule me. Do what is right and I'll know this is just a misunderstanding and nothing more. I make plenty of mistakes and have admitted them on this forum. There is no need to create more animosity.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Wed Apr 06, 2011 at 02:48pm. Reason: An attempt to soften what I originally wrote...
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I'm not taking the gloves off... and I'm glad you took time to edit what you originally had written to "soften" it. We've beaten this play to death, picked apart the book, argued the semantics of the OP, etc.

In my opinion your view of INT is too narrow-minded and not in accordance with the Official Baseball Rules. Others in this thread have felt the same way. Its as simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.

I think it would compromise my integrity if I did not make what I believed to be the correct ruling just because I was afraid of my schedule being pulled. That is out of my control. I work my games to work my games, and let the chips fall where they may. Many successful umpires all over baseball do the same.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by "doing the right thing." Perhaps if you were more specific I would take your request under consideration. At this time I'm unable to do so because I am not certain of what it is you are looking for and how it pertains to the baseball discussion.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Others in this thread have felt the same way.
And others have felt the "other way." And, without seeing the play and without clarification from some official (or partially so) publication or person, this is just going to continue in a "no, you're wrong" back and forth.

So, I think all sides have been expressed and umpires can do what they think is right if / when a similar play happens.
Closed Thread