The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

First one for the year

Varsity DH today - couldn't have asked for better weather in N MS!!

First game ended with a walk off HR - one of 2 or 3 hit by the home team in this game. Second game turned ugly in the 2nd inning when the home team put up 6 runs, including a grand slam HR. Well we keep on keepin' on as best as we can (final score was 21-11 with a walkoff HR in the 6th to get the run rule) - there were 7 or 8 HR's in this game - Including a grand slam by both squads. It kinda drug out, pushing the 3 hour mark real close.

Any way, before the 2 run shot to end it there is a play at the plate and we get the "he HAS to slide" argument. That's #1. I wonder how many more times I'll hear it. Coach and my partner talked it over. Then I hear Coach in the dug out "what book are we playing by?" Nothing malicious, the kid just didn't slide. There really wasn't much of a collision either. He just kind of ran through the play. No, F2 wasn't standing there holding the ball waiting on the runner. The ball only beat him by a step or 2. He was losing, but shoot he was out of pitching. I'll give him credit for sticking up for his catcher.

Why does everyone seem to think runners HAVE to slide? I laugh every time I hear it.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wait 'til next year when they switch to BBCOR bats. College players hate them. That obnoxious ping is gone. It's a beautiful thing.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Wait 'til next year when they switch to BBCOR bats. College players hate them. That obnoxious ping is gone. It's a beautiful thing.
There wasn't a single BBCOR bat in either dugout. Getting all the good out of BESR that they can

Last edited by ManInBlue; Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 08:51pm.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

What BBCOR bats has to do with this sit is beyond me.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
It has nothing to do with my point about runners "must" slide. I think dash was just commenting on the multiple HRs and the 32 runs scored.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
11 home runs in 2 games.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Darien,

So, could you paraphrase the "He's gotta' slide" discussion with the coach? I always enjoying hearing how they "frame" their argument.

Plus, I'm just envious. My first game isn't scheduled until 3/24 - and I'm just hopeful that all of the snow will have melted by then.

JM
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Well I kinda gave most of what I heard. I wasn't involved with the discussion. He pretty much was adamant that the runner had to slide bye claims it's in the book. Like I said, I heard him after he went back to the dug out "asking" what rule book we were playing by. That's not much info but it all I know.

I don't want to make you feel worse about waiting to start but my first games were on a beautiful Saturday at the end of February. This was my fourth date!! Not all of them have been warm and I doubt all of the rest of them will be either. Gotta love the weather in MS.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

If you expect coaches to know the rules you'll usually be sadly disappointed. Guess "he has to slide" is another one of those urban legends in baseball rules along with the hand is part of the bat etc.

I'm a little jealous too; the high school season here doesn't start until the last week of May.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Did the runner attempt to avoid the catcher, assuming he had an opportunity to do so?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
Guess "he has to slide" is another one of those urban legends in baseball rules along with the hand is part of the bat etc.
I have it as myth #20: "The runner must always slide when the play is close."

The myth "the hands are part of the bat" is number one by all a long shot, and has been heard at every level of ball from sandlot to the show.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I'm a little jealous too; the high school season here doesn't start until the last week of May.
Finished up last tourney Saturday. District starts Friday in Texas. Basketball playoffs finished so some of the better pitchers and infielders will start playing BB. In small schools, there are a lot of two and three sport players.

Last edited by nopachunts; Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 10:15am.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Did the runner attempt to avoid the catcher, assuming he had an opportunity to do so?
He didn't appear to, no. He ran across the plate. F2 tagged him and stepped aside.

What'cha got if he didn't slide or attempt to avoid contact? An out? F2 didn't drop the ball - he was already out.

Coach's only argument was "he HAS to slide" - he didn't aruge for an EJ. So, let's go down this road...No slide, no attempt to avoid. Coach argues as this one is, you explain that a slide is not mandatory, but he must slide or attempt to avoid contact. Coach says, Well, he didn't make any attempt to avoid contact either. Now what?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Did a double-header Varsity yesterday when coach comes to my partner and says that the other team is not allowed to say the word "Balk" when the pitcher is standing on the plate. Then came to me in between innings.

After I explained the difference between "Freedom of Speech" and "commiting
an act for the purpose of causing a balk", he said I didn't know anything about the rules. I said ok, turned around and went to right field.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

8-4-2-c. Any runner is out when he does not legally attempt to avoid a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on him.

Penalty: The runner is out and the ball remains live unless interference occurs and is declared.