The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 05:49pm
In Time Out

New Helmet Technology

I was having a discussion about umpires helmetware with a couple of manufacturers and received a prototype that looks a lot like this:

Bulwark: American Football Helmet

...except smaller diameter mask bars, and more of them, a lot more ventilation as long slots and holes and light as a feather.

They have kids models coming out for Dixie and other youth ball in 2013. Riddell, I believe.

The helmet had the best vision, thinnest bars and a new padding concept very much like what is being used in football - removable, inflatable liner with special emphasis on dissipating blows to the forehead. The fit is superb.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

The wrong fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
I was having a discussion about umpires helmetware with a couple of manufacturers and received a prototype that looks a lot like this:

...except smaller diameter mask bars, and more of them, a lot more ventilation as long slots and holes and light as a feather.

They have kids models coming out for Dixie and other youth ball in 2013.
The lacrosse helmet already meets the baseball standards. It looks much better than the HSM or football helmet. The objection was removing the helmet chin strap during live action. I say leave it on. The problem is finding a reputable ump willing to cross the field holding one in his left hand. Send us a pic!

Last edited by SAump; Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 10:37pm.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 12:13am
In Time Out

Originally Posted by Simply The Best

They have kids models coming out for Dixie and other youth ball in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
The lacrosse helmet already meets the baseball standards. It looks much better than the HSM or football helmet.
Never thought about the lacrosse helmet or was aware that it met NOSCAE baseball requirements.
Quote:
The objection was removing the helmet chin strap during live action. I say leave it on.
I teach leave the helmet in place at all times except between innings.
Quote:
The problem is finding a reputable ump willing to cross the field holding one in his left hand. Send us a pic!
We are very much cosmetic beasts, yes?