The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Since it is the off season and we are looking to upgrade equipment, I went to replace my Gerry Davis plate shoes as a Christmas gift and found out they are not carrying the original. They are only carrying the patent leather style in hi tops and lo cuts. I can't figure this out!? I have talked to a few of our association members who say they don't want to take a chance on the patent and as a result will do their buying elsewhere. Any other thoughts on this. Is patent leather that big in other parts of the country? Thanks for your input.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
The Gerry Davis web site still offers the regular style Gerry Davis High Top Plate Shoe.

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=PS
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
The Gerry Davis web site still offers the regular style Gerry Davis High Top Plate Shoe.

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=PS
Jim they are closing them out. I had a problem w/ a pair that I got from another distributor. Last pair of that size w/ that distrubutor. Called GD, they told me I could send them back w/ the extra $$$ and wait for the patent leather since they disco'd the regular and didn't have my size.

When I questioned then, they said their patent leather were wildly popular and decided to carry the entire line that way. Supposedly they are great because they save you the cost of LL. Now did you read their recommendation for repairing the patent leather shoes should the get need it?....LOL yup, Leather Luster. I'll wait and see how they hold up. I took my new shoes to the cobbler and had them repaired.

Bob
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Right. If you go to the link I provided, it says they're closing them out. But it also says they have some left in stock and some sizes are still available.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think I'll continue to drive the 80 miles or so to the manufacturer's outlet store (central Pa, near Altoona) and buy their blems. I have a pair of the patent leather ones, paid about $40 for them. The only thing I can find wrong is a little bit of extra glue that I have cut off. They have held up pretty well this year.

Steve M
Old Sat Jul 19, 2003, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

SteveM,
I'm spending my summer working in State College, PA and wasn't aware that there was an outlet store in Altoona. Could you email me with details on what all is available there and give me directions. Thanks. [email protected]

I too was also afraid of going to the patent leather. I purchased the Honigs 80 leather plate shoes this past season and they held up rather well for $100.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

GD patent leather plates shoes.

have just finished my 1st season with these shoes. I can not say enuff good things about them. Comfortable, light, durable..everything you'd like in a plate shoe..and you NEVER polish them. They look great with a wipe off and even better with a little pledge sprayed on them. I believe looking good as an umpire(uniform and equipment ) enhances credability. If you hate to shine shoes for every game, these shoes are GREAT!!! If you try them I dont think you will wear any others. I have not had them scuffed or scratched, so I cannot comment on how to fix them. I had a catcher step on the side, but the mark was so small it was almost unnoticable. I give these shoes my highest recommendation. any questions let me know....thanks
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

I own a pair of the old style GD high-tops. I've also seen the patent leather ones. Guys I've worked with had them. I've compared them side by side. In my opinion, the patent leather looks cheap. There's something about well cared for, well polished original Gerry Davis leather plate shoes that the patents just don't capture. There's also, in my opinion, something to be said for the old art of shoe-shining, too.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
There's also, in my opinion, something to be said for the old art of shoe-shining, too.
I could not agree more- shining my shoes prior to a game has become a reliance for me- more than just routine or a chore.
The fact that I do it the same way, sitting in the same spot, doing the same things has become familiar. It also assures me that I'll be at the game 30min. early- I need to shine my shoes. Even when they didn't need them, it's as much a part of my pregame ritual as ground rules.
I pride myself on my ability to make my shoes glow- and the guys in the league know me for it.
That said, I have no problem with the patent leater shoes that I now own. I still shine them- just differently.
I also agree with the statement that well cared for, quality leather shoes look great! There's a richness to the leather- like a well oiled old catcher's mitt- that you just don't get with the patent leathers.
I like to think of myself as a throwback- but I concede to 'selling out' and going with the patent leathers.

Bainer.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 06:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I feel just the opposite.

I umpire too many games and frequently find myself looking for shortcuts to shining my shoes.

When I'm doing something indoors, like going to a formal function or even officiating basketball, I will take the time to do it right.

In baseball? Well, this year I'm using Armor All Wipes and next year I'm buying the GD patent leather shoes. They stay shiny on the field, unlike my shined shoes that get covered in dirt 1/2 inning in.

Rich
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of brand, I'm a firm believer in "Leather Lustre". I'm still wearing my Hy-Test Florsheim's from 15+ years ago. For $45(shipping included), you can have Leather Lustre do 'em for you . . . with a lifetime warranty. A bit of water after a particulary muddy game, and they shine up to beat the band. Usually a simply wipe with a towel will get 'em looking like new. I use paste wax on the threads, soles and heels.

Jerry
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

They stay shiny on the field, unlike my shined shoes that get covered in dirt 1/2 inning in.

When working with parnters who have the patent leather plate shoes, I notice they are not immune from the dirt around the plate. How do you manage to get dirt only on your shined shoes?
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: New Feelings About Patent Leather...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bainer
After a year and a half, the shoes are no longer 'presentable'.
I'm on season 3 with my old-style Gerry Davis high-tops. Using a leather cleaning product, followed by a leather preservative, and then topping it off with a proper shine, I can still make them look like new. I don't even use Leather Luster, although I'm thinking by next season it might be time for that.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and especially your failures.