The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Coach handling?? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/64194-coach-handling.html)

MrUmpire Tue Mar 08, 2011 02:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply The Best (Post 737551)
Mr. Umpire and Welp, don't you think your conversation would be best as PMs instead of cluttering up the officiating discussions with off topic ramblings, accusations and general BS? :confused:

Says the BS master.

Regards to Deej.

MikeStrybel Tue Mar 08, 2011 01:47pm

What's wrong with the video? I have used it a few times in my clinics. I have seen the longer version - an inning prior and after. It's good stuff for training umpires how to respond to situations.

Welpe Tue Mar 08, 2011 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 737754)
What's wrong with the video? I have used it a few times in my clinics. I have seen the longer version - an inning prior and after. It's good stuff for training umpires how to respond to situations.

The poster that put it up is a well known troll around these parts and posted it in an attempt to take a cheap shot at Rich.

MikeStrybel Tue Mar 08, 2011 02:17pm

My apologies but how is it a cheap shot at Rich?

For what it's worth, I love the quote in your signature. Though I'm a Cubs fan, Veeck was a genius.

Simply The Best Tue Mar 08, 2011 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 737390)
A coach gets all the respect he returns in every game and every sport I work. If a coach asks a question the right way and actually listens to the answer and I know he doesn't get upset for no good reason then of course I'll listen when he's upset -- he's proven that he's worth listening to and knows how to treat umpires/officials.

The outcome is fine but the approach is completely bassakward. Start the game with respect for the coach not "he gets what he returns" which is either a neutral position, or imo considering your posts past" begins in a negative, combative posture.

Coaches, who btw are people, read your body language, your tone of voice, the lokk you do or don't give them at the home plate meeting, from third base, the dugout...they read and they judge how they are being perceived.

So it is mightily important to start the game with respect for people (coaches in this context) or you are doing nothing more than predetermining the outcome of the coach-official relationship.

Quote:

Internet posting is very one dimensional -- it's hard to express nuance from a keyboard.
I would strongly disagree. For instance, the use of :D and :mad: and :pdelivers a message as does bolding (my bet is you quite well understand how much I strongly disagree with you ;)), italicizing and several other non dimensional features.

Over time, the attitude of the poster, the point of his posts, the clarity in which he writes, his use of language, proper punctuation and a flurry of other factors highlight who he is, what he stands for, where his points of interest are...well, you get the idea...dimensionally. :D:D

Quote:

There are some absolutes, as far as I'm concerned (my ejection last season was for being called ridiculous after we had interference on an infield fly that resulted in a double play -- no coach is going to stay after calling me a name)
Unless you posted this incident incorrectly, he didn't call you a name, he commented on the absurdity of the call, very different situation. Nothing personal there, dude, lighten up, again, this goes back to my first paragraph above. How you approach the game and the people. I would have gotten a good laugh out of that. Only a dunce for a coach believes he is going to gain anything positive by using such a redikalous term as "ridiculous". Think of it this way.

Stupidity is God's gift called light humour.;)

Quote:

...but no good umpire/official is going to survive long without having a mouth AND an ear and knowing when to use the right one at the right time.
Here we go again. I strongly disagree. I know very good, even excellent officials who are quiet, to the point, rarely verbal or verbose and hear hardly anthing from fans, coaches or players.

I would not be in that group but I also would not paint them with that wide brush (remember the wide brush we discussed earlier in this thread...here it is again...:p) of not having survivability.

Fact is, they can be alive and well and amongst us at this very moment.

FYI, note how I spelled "humour", I did that to fool you into thinking I am a Brit. Funny how dimensionality can work with Internet posting. :eek:

Simply The Best Tue Mar 08, 2011 03:04pm

Originally Posted by Simply The Best http://forum.officiating.com/images/...s/viewpost.gif
Mr. Umpire and Welp, don't you think your conversation would be best as PMs instead of cluttering up the officiating discussions with off topic ramblings, accusations and general BS? :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 737615)
Says the BS master.

Regards to Deej.

So much for on topic posts and my PM suggestion. :(

Rich Tue Mar 08, 2011 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply The Best (Post 737775)

Unless you posted this incident incorrectly, he didn't call you a name, he commented on the absurdity of the call, very different situation. Nothing personal there, dude, lighten up, again, this goes back to my first paragraph above. How you approach the game and the people. I would have gotten a good laugh out of that. Only a dunce for a coach believes he is going to gain anything positive by using such a redikalous term as "ridiculous". Think of it this way.

"You guys are ridiculous."

I quoted nothing in the original post. I know the difference between a reference to my decision and a namecaller. Does such a thing have to be spelled out in every post?

Keep playing Internet psychologist, troll. I have a basketball game to work.

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 08, 2011 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 737763)
My apologies but how is it a cheap shot at Rich?

For what it's worth, I love the quote in your signature. Though I'm a Cubs fan, Veeck was a genius.

Mike, check your PM, please.

Simply The Best Tue Mar 08, 2011 08:01pm

Originally Posted by Simply The Best http://forum.officiating.com/images/...s/viewpost.gif

Unless you posted this incident incorrectly, he didn't call you a name, he commented on the absurdity of the call, very different situation. Nothing personal there, dude, lighten up, again, this goes back to my first paragraph above. How you approach the game and the people. I would have gotten a good laugh out of that. Only a dunce for a coach believes he is going to gain anything positive by using such a redikalous term as "ridiculous".

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 737855)
"You guys are ridiculous."

Memory returned I see. Not at all what you posted. ;)

Were you, btw?

bob jenkins Tue Mar 08, 2011 08:10pm

I thnk this thread has sufficiently strayed from the original.