The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Catch with illegal glove disallowed.

1. With runners on base, batter flies out. After all play has ended, it is discovered that the catch was made with an illegal glove. Where do you place batter and runners in each case if:

a. Batter goes to dugout after catch?
b. R1 remained on first?
c. A runner is put out on appeal for leaving base too soon?
d. R3 tagged up and then scored?

2. Would a catch be disallowed if made by:

a. A first baseman using a glove instead of a mitt, or by other fielder using a first-baseman's mitt?
b. A pitcher using a white glove?
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

If you talking Fed, there is no distinction of what is a glove/mitt for "fielders", only what is a legal glove/mitt, 1-3-6. Therefore, he could be using a first baseman's mitt and be legal.

Otherwise, three bases are awarded if in fair territory and or potientially fair if over foul territory. If the ball was foul, batter is back in the box, 8-3-3B.

As for the pitchers use of a white glove, of course you would have removed it prior to a pitch being delivered....but, if not allow the catch then remove it. 6-2-1 Penalty
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=justanotherblue;736015] If the ball was foul, batter is back in the box, 8-3-3B. /QUOTE]

Unless the coach wanted the results of the play, as he might in questin 1d.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Otherwise, three bases are awarded if in fair territory and or potientially fair if over foul territory. If the ball was foul, batter is back in the box, 8-3-3B.
I'm looking through the latest NCAA rules and the OBR rules, but the numbering must be different. The one you quote looks like the penalty for using a thrown or detached glove, cap, etc.

In NCAA, The only rule I find is 1-13 penalty 2: "If a catch is made with illegal equipment, the offensive team has the choice of taking the play or having the play voided with the pitch being made again." So the answer in NCAA is to accept the play or redo the pitch.

I haven't found a similar rule in the current edition of OBR, but I think I remember seeing one years ago.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
I'm looking through the latest NCAA rules and the OBR rules, but the numbering must be different. The one you quote looks like the penalty for using a thrown or detached glove, cap, etc.

In NCAA, The only rule I find is 1-13 penalty 2: "If a catch is made with illegal equipment, the offensive team has the choice of taking the play or having the play voided with the pitch being made again." So the answer in NCAA is to accept the play or redo the pitch.

I haven't found a similar rule in the current edition of OBR, but I think I remember seeing one years ago.
You won't. OBR is remove the glove, play on, iirc.