The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call .... the sequel

OBR --- Little League. 0 out. R2. The batter hits a looping drive to short right field. R2 holds up and remains at 2nd as the ball drops safely. The BR rounds 1st slides into 2nd safely. R2 is standing on 2nd with the BR still on the ground touching 2nd. The defensive player tags R2. The volunteer-dad base umpire calls R2 out. The BR requests time which is granted by the base umpire. The offensive manager comes out to discuss the play with the base umpire during the timeout, and casually mentions to the BR to move back to 1st which he does. The volunteer base umpire asks for "HELP!" from you the plate umpire. Whatcha gonna do Blue?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
OBR --- Little League. 0 out. R2. The batter hits a looping drive to short right field. R2 holds up and remains at 2nd as the ball drops safely. The BR rounds 1st slides into 2nd safely. R2 is standing on 2nd with the BR still on the ground touching 2nd. The defensive player tags R2. The volunteer-dad base umpire calls R2 out. The BR requests time which is granted by the base umpire. The offensive manager comes out to discuss the play with the base umpire during the timeout, and casually mentions to the BR to move back to 1st which he does. The volunteer base umpire asks for "HELP!" from you the plate umpire. Whatcha gonna do Blue?
Call out BR and put R2 back on second.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
call out br and put r2 back on second.
+1
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Call out BR and put R2 back on second.
I like that too. It's fair. The umpire erred. Had he called it correctly, the result would be the same as Bob's fix.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:07am
Stop staring at me swan.

I'll work the game alone instead of with a volunteer dad from the stands "base ump." But to answer your question...I'd do what the other guys above would do.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 12:14am.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Depends on the gift card.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

According to the OP, the BR wasn't tagged. So first R2 (not out by rule) was called out, and then after a time out, the BR (not out by rule) was called out.

But once the call was blown and the time out called, the "bell" had been rung, so I guess they did the fair thing.

And johnnyg is right: work the game alone rather than with a base ump from the stands. I've done it many times.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Is this an option?

While I like Mr. Jenkins' suggestion, I had another. I would have suggested that Field Umpire put R2 on 2B, and put B/R on 2B. Give the ball back to the pitcher, wait until 5.11 is satisfied and call, "Play." Await hilarity.

Seriously, is there any proscription from putting the ball into play with two runners on the same base?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if you could call the BR out. I'd certainly protest it, since he wasn't tagged.

The last base that the BR legally had was first. So BR at first, and R2 at second.

Hot Dog Scoreboard

PU - 2
BU - 0
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Citation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
The last base that the BR legally had was first. So BR at first, and R2 at second.
I'm not sure the practice is always to place runners at their last legal base. Would you let a runner return to a base he left early during a timeout?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer View Post
I'm not sure the practice is always to place runners at their last legal base. Would you let a runner return to a base he left early during a timeout?
He has no legal right to occupy second, as he not in legal possesion of it. Hence, he's on first after the dopey timeout.

I do like the idea of putting them both on second, and putting it in play.

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 03:40pm.