The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Wind up position

Had a buddy taking a test for the Private school association. One of his questions was "Which one of the following is a legal move by the pitcher?"

One of the possibilities was "in the wind up position turning the shoulders to check a runner." I don't believe he marked this as the legal move, but it got me to thinking...

Fed rules. F1 has to step off the rubber before throwing to a base from the wind up. So what difference does it make if he turns his shoulders? He hasn't made any motion associated with the pitch.

Is it legal for a pitcher to turn his shoulders in the wind up to check a runner? I've over-thought this I know. Please give rule sites etc.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think it's like the set position. Once the hands are together, you can't turn your shoulders to check the runner. W/O looking it up, that's how I would rule.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I see your point. However, you don't have to have your hands together in the wind up, and if they are not bringing them together starts your pitching motion...

F1 on the rubber, glove and ball in front of him, hand by his side, he turns his shoulders while checking R3.

or - in your scenario both hands together in front of the body - both are legal positions...stepping with the free foot, or starting the "pump" with the hands generally starts a pitching motion...what does turning the shoulders have to do with it.

Again, I'm over thinking it, I'm sure...not to mention I haven't truly decided where I stand on the subject.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

6-1 contains a phrase similar to "It's legal to turn the shoulders in the set position."

The rule used to say "Turning the shoulders is a balk." (this was in any position)

So, by inference, turning the shoulders in the wind-up position is still a balk.