The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

back talkers and who likes to work with one

Take a look at the two videos. I am just curious what people think about them.

YouTube - Wally Backman Ejected in Anderson, SC (139)

YouTube - Wally Backman Discusses His Ejection With an Umpire (456)
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanumpire View Post
Take a look at the two videos. I am just curious what people think about them.

YouTube - Wally Backman Discusses His Ejection With an Umpire (456)
I'd have no use for him. And he's the one that started the conversation, too. Horrible.

And what this clown doesn't realize is that Backman would run the bus over him and back it up over him again in a heartbeat.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Wally

I think it needs to be pointed out that the SCL used HS/JUCO umpires. Always beware of cameras.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
I think it needs to be pointed out that the SCL used HS/JUCO umpires. Always beware of cameras.
Watching this guy suck a$$, especially with a camera in his face, is ridiculous.

Last edited by mrm21711; Thu Dec 23, 2010 at 01:00am.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'd have no use for him. And he's the one that started the conversation, too. Horrible.

And what this clown doesn't realize is that Backman would run the bus over him and back it up over him again in a heartbeat.
that's horrible. Sadly there are lots of umpires who fit this mold. Coaches are NOT your friends!!!!

Thanks
David
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Not a baseball umpire but rather a basketball official. This goes against the well established philosophy of never stabbing a fellow official in the back...much less on TV. Unbelievable!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

"Take a look at the two videos. I am just curious what people think about them.

YouTube - Wally Backman Discusses His Ejection With an Umpire (456)"

As for the first video, Wow! What a messy piece of work for baseball Wally Backman is! Could this fit of childishness ever get advanced to a MLB managerial position? Holy sheeze if he is! Backman reminds me of that other manager a few years ago who threw a 10 minute childish tantrum on the field - tore out second base, dirtied up home plate, tossed bats onto the field, etc., etc..

I think the base umpire did a superb job of quietly directing Backman off the field, while the plate umpire, after having made his point to Backman, calmly disengaged from him and his filthy language. What umpire would try to entertain a discussuion with a manager who approaches you with F! F! F! and continually sounds off with the F bomb? (Or is this a commonly accepted tradition on MiLB level?). Was it really true that Backman went unfined for this episode, while the plate umpire was fined?

As for the 2nd video, that umpire is really chumming up with Backman. Perhaps he sees Backman as a future MLB manager and wants to be known as a close friend of his. Knocking another umpire to chum up (or advance yourself) with a coach is downright disgusting. I myself have a hard time just sticking around after a game has finished as my partner wants to go out of his way to shake hands with all the coaches. (I'll shake hands at the end of a game if a coach approaches me; otherwise, I'm on my way out, unless I've got a partner who seems it's necessary to stck around a few more minutes to seek out the coaches for a handshake - perhaps because on the HS level, they're being evaluated by them?)

Last edited by cookie; Thu Dec 23, 2010 at 06:24pm.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2010, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Was it really true that Backman went unfined for this episode, while the plate umpire was fined?
From everything I've seen, yes. Backman was fined (3-day suspension) for his actions after the game, where he cussed out the radio broadcaster and the GM of the opposing team (they were at an away game). In another video in the series, an executive for the league stated that he wasn't fined or suspended for his on-field actions because the umpire's actions were at fault.

According to the story, Doc chirps after a called strike; on the next pitch (a ball), the umpire ejects Doc. According to Backman, Doc didn't say anything at that point to warrant an ejection. So, Backman comes out to argue, probably to keep his player from getting more than the ejection. Backman asked the umpire what Doc said, and the umpire said, "You can read it in my f&*king report." This sets Backman off.

Backman should have gotten something for his on-field actions. However, the umpire's actions were inexcusable as well. Why would you wait until after the next pitch to eject a player? Then, when the coach comes out and asks what he said, why would you respond the way he did?

Of course, we only have Backman's side of the story.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2010, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

"...Backman comes out to argue, probably to keep his player from getting more than the ejection..."

This is standard and quite understandable for a coach to be doing...but a class act defending your player doesn't need the F Bomb language and tantrums display...

"...and the umpire said, "You can read it in my f&*king report."..."

I didn't see/hear that in the video (I'll go back and watch it a 3rd, 4th time).
However, an umpire responding like that is also stooping to a low level and unneedfully could be pressing the coach's buttons (and putting others in jeopardy by setting off on the field of play an on-edge person like Backman). Such an umpire (as already has been said) is deserving of reprimand & fine...

Addendum 10 minutes later: I went back and looked again at the video, didn't see or hear anything from the plate umpire indicating the F word. I just heard "It's in my report." AGAIN, I think that field umpire did a superb job getting Backman to leave the field and keep the game going (I'm learning a lot from him)...

Last edited by cookie; Fri Dec 24, 2010 at 03:03am.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2010, 09:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

I think it's a great job by the base umpire, especially when he holds back on the temptation to say, "You call this sh!t professional baseball? This is just something for me to do on a Sunday afternoon, but isn't your career in the sh!tter, Backman?"

Old Fri Dec 24, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Not a big deal here?

Umpire overreacts for this level of play and gets called on it and can't defend his actions so he makes up a lame statement like "Its im my report". Then again, maybe his hemorids were bothering him or he had an argument with the wife before the game.

Coach goes haywire, which was, kind of funny but, could have been a little unsafe.

End of story.

Don't know what level this was but, if your doing this type of ball you should be ejecting for obvious reasons and not making it up because, well, it just makes for a longer game.

I agree, nice job by the other official.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2010, 08:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Not a big deal here?

Umpire overreacts for this level of play and gets called on it and can't defend his actions so he makes up a lame statement like "Its im my report". Then again, maybe his hemorids were bothering him or he had an argument with the wife before the game.

Coach goes haywire, which was, kind of funny but, could have been a little unsafe.

End of story.

Don't know what level this was but, if your doing this type of ball you should be ejecting for obvious reasons and not making it up because, well, it just makes for a longer game.
This is how you solve the problem. Pay the money to get guys that only do that level or shut the heck up when you get someone that does not work that level all the time. And if Backman was worth a grap he would have had a job in the Majors. Do we have to remind people why he is not at that level right now and doing this level?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 24, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

The thing is, we never really know who the back talkers are. Some umpires that are either insecure with there own ability or feel they are superior can’t help themselves and for whatever reason, feel they are justified in giving a rat their opinion or judgment on calls made by their partners. I for one have no tolerance for these types of people and will publicly brand them rats in the umpiring community as well. The sad thing is, back talkers are usually the guys with the most experience and should know better. If I found out my partner was a back talker, we would have more than words in the parking lot after the game.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I don't agree that it is necessarily related to having more experience. Every profession has doers and suckeruppers. The first category gets their job done, maintains a professional enviorment and are generally straight forward people. They get respect because of what and how they do their work.

The second group feel that in oder to get respect they have to become everyones friend. It's easier than working hard. Sooner or latter they end up getting thrown under the bus by their so called friends and then they either quit or go around thinking how unfair everything is.

Unfortanately, officiating does not own the license these types of characters.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 04:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
knocking another umpire to chum up (or advance yourself) with a coach is downright disgusting. I myself have a hard time just sticking around after a game has finished as my partner wants to go out of his way to shake hands with all the coaches. (i'll shake hands at the end of a game if a coach approaches me; otherwise, i'm on my way out, unless i've got a partner who seems it's necessary to stck around a few more minutes to seek out the coaches for a handshake - perhaps because on the hs level, they're being evaluated by them?)
+1
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25