View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

"Take a look at the two videos. I am just curious what people think about them.

YouTube - Wally Backman Ejected in Anderson, SC (139)

YouTube - Wally Backman Discusses His Ejection With an Umpire (456)"

As for the first video, Wow! What a messy piece of work for baseball Wally Backman is! Could this fit of childishness ever get advanced to a MLB managerial position? Holy sheeze if he is! Backman reminds me of that other manager a few years ago who threw a 10 minute childish tantrum on the field - tore out second base, dirtied up home plate, tossed bats onto the field, etc., etc..

I think the base umpire did a superb job of quietly directing Backman off the field, while the plate umpire, after having made his point to Backman, calmly disengaged from him and his filthy language. What umpire would try to entertain a discussuion with a manager who approaches you with F! F! F! and continually sounds off with the F bomb? (Or is this a commonly accepted tradition on MiLB level?). Was it really true that Backman went unfined for this episode, while the plate umpire was fined?

As for the 2nd video, that umpire is really chumming up with Backman. Perhaps he sees Backman as a future MLB manager and wants to be known as a close friend of his. Knocking another umpire to chum up (or advance yourself) with a coach is downright disgusting. I myself have a hard time just sticking around after a game has finished as my partner wants to go out of his way to shake hands with all the coaches. (I'll shake hands at the end of a game if a coach approaches me; otherwise, I'm on my way out, unless I've got a partner who seems it's necessary to stck around a few more minutes to seek out the coaches for a handshake - perhaps because on the HS level, they're being evaluated by them?)

Last edited by cookie; Thu Dec 23, 2010 at 06:24pm.