The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Special Pinch Runner Rule

I'm a scorekeeper in our local LL and have a question on the Special Pinch Runner rule. During this year's LLWS, I believe the ESPN announcers said that for a player to be eligible to SP run that player must be out of the lineup for one inning. I have always thought that once Player A is officially subbed for, he is "out of the lineup" and therefore is eligible to SP run as soon as he is removed from the lineup. Example: Top of 3rd, player A is officially subbed for. Batter B walks/hits and reaches first safely. The manager then asks for a SP runner for player B and uses player A. If the ESPN announcers were correct player A would NOT be able to SP run until the next offensive half inning. Is this correct? I have not been able to verify this in Official LL Rules or anywhere else. I know that SP runners are not subject to regular substitution rules and am aware of the "one SP runner per inning may be used and a player may be SP run for only once per game". Anyone know if the ESPN announcers were right? (It wouldn't be the first time ESPN supplied incorrect info, but that's another story.) Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 01:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMike1973 View Post
I'm a scorekeeper in our local LL and have a question on the Special Pinch Runner rule. During this year's LLWS, I believe the ESPN announcers said that for a player to be eligible to SP run that player must be out of the lineup for one inning. I have always thought that once Player A is officially subbed for, he is "out of the lineup" and therefore is eligible to SP run as soon as he is removed from the lineup. Example: Top of 3rd, player A is officially subbed for. Batter B walks/hits and reaches first safely. The manager then asks for a SP runner for player B and uses player A. If the ESPN announcers were correct player A would NOT be able to SP run until the next offensive half inning. Is this correct? I have not been able to verify this in Official LL Rules or anywhere else. I know that SP runners are not subject to regular substitution rules and am aware of the "one SP runner per inning may be used and a player may be SP run for only once per game". Anyone know if the ESPN announcers were right? (It wouldn't be the first time ESPN supplied incorrect info, but that's another story.) Thanks.
An SPR simply needs to be out of the game. However, you cannot project substitutes while on offense to set up an SPR situation, either.

Let's say Bill is due up 5th in the inning. A coach can't come up and say I'm substituting Jane for Bill in the 5-hole and then use Bill as an SPR for the leadoff hitter that inning.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMike1973 View Post
Anyone know if the ESPN announcers were right?
In general, your concern should have ended there! If you think you know something, and they tell you different, dollars to doughnuts you are right and they are wrong.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
An SPR simply needs to be out of the game. However, you cannot project substitutes while on offense to set up an SPR situation, either.

Let's say Bill is due up 5th in the inning. A coach can't come up and say I'm substituting Jane for Bill in the 5-hole and then use Bill as an SPR for the leadoff hitter that inning.
The actual tournament rule is that when on offense you cannot sub for a player in the lineup until it's his turn at bat or he's on base. Perhaps that's what ESPN was trying to convey.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ll spr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Perhaps that's what ESPN was trying to convey.
Way too much thinking for most TV sportscasters.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Not exactly...

Quote:
The actual tournament rule is that when on offense you cannot sub for a player in the lineup until it's his turn at bat or he's on base. Perhaps that's what ESPN was trying to convey.
Not sure as I don't remember the exact circumstances when they made the comment (I'm going on a bad memory here) but as I remember they were saying the player who becomes the SP runner has to have been out for for a defensive half inning also. Thus a player A who is officially subbed for at the top of the offensive inning, has his sub hit in his spot, cannot SP run for his sub or any other batter during that half inning. I don't believe this to be correct. Once a player is officially out (not a projected substitution) and his spot in the order has been hit for, he should be able to SR run. But as I remember they were saying a defensive half had to be played also. As long as his sub has batted, player A is out and IS eligible to run as I understand it, even in THAT inning>
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 11:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well, that's what I'm trying to say -- we don't allow projected substitutes. Coaches think I'm being a jerk when I tell them to have the batter report when he comes up, but like I tell them, "What if you change your mind?"