The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

NCAA 3 man video, How far do you go?

Sign In

I am sure many of you have already looked over this video, so I am curious:

D1 UIC says in a 3 man system with R2, and a flyball down the RF line, the PU can get to the 45 foot line to make the fair/foul/catch/no-catch call and sell it.

I can buy going up the line, though I still think having HP between you and the play is the best mechanic, esp. with 2 out, or R2 running. But I am not very comfortable with PU 45 feet up the line to make the call. Does that mean R3 carries R2 home? How does the PU find an angle on a play, or covers contact at the plate?

Is this the UIC making a point to hustle and get out, or is he just being unrealistic?

What are your opinions?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

With two outs, if the ball drops you have plenty of time to demonstrate fair-foul, no catch and then get back to third base extended if you have a play on R2 at the plate. It would be much easier to sell the fair-foul, and catch, no catch from the 45 line as opposed to 1st base extended. Also shows the appearance of hustle and "doing the job", as opposed to the appearance of actually getting further away from the play and possibly looking lazy.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Sign In

I am sure many of you have already looked over this video, so I am curious:

D1 UIC says in a 3 man system with R2, and a flyball down the RF line, the PU can get to the 45 foot line to make the fair/foul/catch/no-catch call and sell it.

I can buy going up the line, though I still think having HP between you and the play is the best mechanic, esp. with 2 out, or R2 running. But I am not very comfortable with PU 45 feet up the line to make the call. Does that mean R3 carries R2 home? How does the PU find an angle on a play, or covers contact at the plate?

Is this the UIC making a point to hustle and get out, or is he just being unrealistic?

What are your opinions?
With 2 outs and R2 running, there is not likely to be a play at the plate on a ball hit high enough or deep enough for PU to get to the 45' line.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Agreed Bob, but you could have a time play scrambling back to the plate. Yet another reason with 2 outs to have U1 on the line...
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Agreed Bob, but you could have a time play scrambling back to the plate. Yet another reason with 2 outs to have U1 on the line...
Rumor has it that the 2011 CCA manual is going to at least have the option of putting U1 on the line with R2 or R2/R3 and 2 outs.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then you'd have the same situation with a play down the LF line.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:26pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not to mention being between the throw, depending on how the play unfolded, from the fielder to home in either scenario.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:
When I've had this happen to me in two man, I simply backed off the line to where I could hopefully see a tag at 2B and/or see if the runner scored before the tag. It should work in three man. You just have to compromise on occasion.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, but I think we all would agree you won't go 45 feet up the line with a runner coming at you. So you would stay closer to the plate but still take your primary responsibility (fair/foul, catch no/catch) and then return point of plate extended ready to adjust for play at plate or time play.

One of those situations you just do your best I suppose.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Rumor has it that the 2011 CCA manual is going to at least have the option of putting U1 on the line with R2 or R2/R3 and 2 outs.
that is not a rumor. Tony Thompson told us that at his International Camp last week. The theory is 99% of all the plays will be at 1st. Better to have U1 on the line.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
that is not a rumor. Tony Thompson told us that at his International Camp last week. The theory is 99% of all the plays will be at 1st. Better to have U1 on the line.
Well I had not heard it confirmed for sure yet. I had just heard from different people that there was a good chance it was going to happen.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't watch the video, but the best teacher of umpiring, Evans, says that on any play, "go as far as the play will allow". This means that your positioning is based on your current responsibility and being able to be in position for subsequent responsibilities. Never run yourself out of a play.