The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Yes, but how many times have you called it or seen it called. It all happens in such a split second.
If its that close as Bob describes it, I'm not calling a balk. Certainly its a "technical" balk, but as Carl used to say, "don't go looking for boogers."

No coach is going to ever complain because they've been seeing guys do it for years.

Its going to seem as one motion and that's fine with me. Same on the move to third base with pitcher from the windup. If its so close, no balk. Now if its obvious that he separated way before the step, probably a balk.

thanks
David
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I have a balk. The pivot foot must land first before the hands come apart. FED specifies this exactly. OBR just says step. It's hard to judge this with LHP step off and throw to 1B or a RHP step off and throw to 3B and they get away with pushing it. But this move to 2B I would balk because the foot didn't land before the hands came apart. The step is actually part of the throwing motion.
Slow down the video of any MLB pitcher (LHP) stepping at and throwing to first. When the foot lands gaining direction and distance, not only are the hands separated, the throwing arm is beginning its move foward.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Thu Jul 29, 2010 at 05:51pm.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Slow down the video of any MLB pitcher (LHP) stepping at and throwing to first. When the foot lands gaining direction and distance, not only are the hands separated, the throwing arm is beginning its move foward.
Are you talking about a LHP stepping with his non-pivot foot towards first and throwing?

-Josh
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Are you talking about a LHP stepping with his non-pivot foot towards first and throwing?

-Josh
"Never mind" - Emily Litella

Need to slow down when I read some of this stuff.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
No coach is going to ever complain because they've been seeing guys do it for years.
Really? I've only seen it a handful of time, 3 by the same pitcher.

Note that I'm talking about stepping with the PIVOT foot and throwing all in one motion. Since the direction of the step is the same as the direction for a disengagement, how do we decide which it is? And, how do we reconcile this with a LH pither disengaging and throwing to first all in one motion?

For me, while the technical rule is based on when the hands separate, I give more leeway. If the throwing hand is coming forward before the foot lands, I balk it.

BTW, I balked the guy again last night.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

BTW, I balked the guy again last night.
We now have Balkin Bob Davidson / Jenkins

Pete Booth
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 08:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
We now have Balkin Bob Davidson / Jenkins

Pete Booth
Davidson got another one last night and then called all four umpires together to make sure the pitcher balked before disengaging. I think they all held hands and sang Kumbaya, too.