Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Awesome! 2 bonus words in 1 sentence!
Don't you mean two bonus words in one post?
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I know I'll get blasted for this......
As a umpire. Having had the pleasure of doing ages from the youngest of youth to the NCAA level. And now having a daughter playing travel softball and a boy playing travel baseball. I have come to the conclusion after seeing some of the officiating there is no excuse for anyone to attack an umpire or official but there are many times the officials deserve to be attacked. Excuse/no. Reason/yes.
No blasting from me, just an offer to come out of retirement and offer you some much needed counseling.

If you believe any officiating is deserving of physical violence, you need help. PM me and we'll set up some sessions.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a umpire. Having had the pleasure of doing ages from the youngest of youth to the NCAA level. And now having a daughter playing travel softball and a boy playing travel baseball. I have come to the conclusion after seeing some of the officiating there is no excuse for anyone to attack an umpire or official but there are many times the officials deserve to be attacked. Excuse/no. Reason/yes.
Tell ya what.... why don't you tell your partner this before each and every game that you work.

When the David Davis' of the world are cold cocking you, see if you get any help.

Go back to yelling at umpires while watching your kids' games.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue View Post
Already has been. Turned himself in and was booked for battery against a sports official. Facing a possible $2,000 fine and/or 12 months in the pokey.
And - for what it's worth - our assigner is going to be doing everything in his power to make sure Mr. Davis never steps foot on a baseball diamond again.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
And - for what it's worth - our assigner is going to be doing everything in his power to make sure Mr. Davis never steps foot on a baseball diamond again.
No, no, no, he should have to hand rake and hand line the field every day for the next 20 years. Even when it rains (and especially when there is lightning)
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? Not an umpire but rather a basketball official, but I have never EVER seen a game where any sports official "deserves to be attacked."

This is really up there as one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this board.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Deserve to be attacked??!! Really?

You think you're going to get blasted? No, not at all. You're simply going to have the basis and content of your post aptly described: Your statement is absolutely imbecilic.

If you're not joking, then it is other things as well---none of them good.

Take a guess what kind of guy makes imbecilic statements.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What everyone means to say is.....your are one of the idiot sick ones!!
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
I'm surprised your assignor thinks it's going to take a lot of his power.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

unbelieveable.

Quote:
you are right, you should be blasted....never before have I ever read a bigger piece of crap than this....no one EVER deserves to be attacked for officiating a game.....
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
As a umpire. ... I have come to the conclusion after seeing some of the officiating there is no excuse for anyone to attack an umpire or official but there are many times the officials deserve to be attacked. Excuse/no. Reason/yes.
This has to be the absolute stupidest thing EVER posted on this board - and the competition's pretty tough.

What a moron.

JM
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Moron, huh?

I think he's an imbecile!
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

There is NEVER a reason to assault ANYBODY. Early in my life a co-worker who served time after killing a man in a fight over something meaningless, told me, "Never get into a fight unless you are willing to kill. Because you might just get a "lucky punch" and finish him off."

As a former coach I had to endure many bad calls. Never did I lose control and often reminded my team, "Whomever told you life is fair, lied to you!!"

With all that said, I recently had to question the motives of my partner during a recent game.

He called the final out of the game (I truly thought the runner was safe "by a mile") on a play that probably would've sent the game into extra innings. We'd had a long day doing numerous games. (note to assignors, my opinion; anything more than 2-games/day reduces quality) I drove home that night feeling the last out was called because my partner was tired. This cost the team involved a chance at the championship. Their coaches and their team's fans couldn't believe the call and almost lost control. I didn't discuss the call with my partner and we got to our cars and left quickly .

As a former coach, this kind of validates some of the calls my teams had to endure. I always hated playing the host team at any tourney, or being the last game of a long day. If the ump doing our game said it was going to be his 4th game that day.......I warned my team to expect that any close call on the bases, would be out and expect bad calls on 3rd strikes. Our pitchers learned to use that to their advantage.

As a former coach, parent and now as an umpire I truly know how emotionally involved everybody is after 8-9 hrs of hard competition. Most can control their emotions. No excuse for those who can't. Parent, player, coach or official.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

From the article: "Vallejo's team was eliminated from the tournament for the assault."

Why punish a bunch of kids because one of their coaches is an idiot? Sure, this guy should be ejected, arrested, fined, jailed, barred from coaching, whatever. But by what rule would you declare a forfeit?
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
From the article: "Vallejo's team was eliminated from the tournament for the assault."

Why punish a bunch of kids because one of their coaches is an idiot? Sure, this guy should be ejected, arrested, fined, jailed, barred from coaching, whatever. But by what rule would you declare a forfeit?
Its common sense. Just like you can forfeit a game if you eject a coach and he refuses to leave.