The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Little League - grounds for forfeit (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58611-little-league-grounds-forfeit.html)

SAump Wed Jul 21, 2010 06:36pm

Bashing LL baseball training?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 685830)
They also supply a disproportionate amount of better baseball players, as does Florida and the Dominican Republic.

US Little League Champions
CA 14 (76-79, 91-94)
FL 6
GA, HI 3
AZ, IN, TX 2
AL, CT, KY, RI, NJ, PA, WA 1

Expected correlation matches your statement. Winning has nothing to do with weather, population, or D1 schools. The LL ball is topnotch here and teams do well in playoffs. It is good experience for an umpire. Last year McCallister Park next door went to the show.

Berkut Wed Jul 21, 2010 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 686191)
But any coach who is responsible for teaching the rules should be aware of this quite simple rule. If the coach doesn't know this, what else doesn't he know? A coach won't know ALL the rules... but he should know the routine ones. And you wonder why we say LL has inferior coaches?

Fortunately ... (or unfortunately for your team) it's not up to you. You think it ... so what. This is NOT a minor mistake. You don't think there's a significant advantage in letting a kid rest that long between innings pitched? You're nuts. You don't think there's a significant chance at long-term damage from having a kid pitch hard, then not pitch, then pitch again, then not, then again? Again, you're nuts. there are reasons for these rules... and reasons the penalty is what it is. This is not "petty" at all.

1. Way wrong, on both counts. 2) First off, the penalty is KNOWN, and not subject to your opinion... second, it's entirely appropriate.
3) You have a point there, and I recommend you pursue it.

Meh, at this point winning the dispute is considerably worse than doing nothing and letting it go.

My point through all this was trying to find out if in fact that penalty (forefeiture of the game) was the "norm" for this kind of violation. The impression I got from most posters was that it was not at all typical. Now I hear from you that it IS typical, and indeed is in fact the normal response.

I don't really care to defend whether or not I am "nuts" or not, mostly I think I am just ignorant. Which is, luckily, considerably more treatable at least.

So - is this simply the normal response to the infraction? You used an illegal pitcher, you forfeit the game?

umpjim Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:03pm

If this was a LL postseason tournament goverened under the T rules in the back of the LL Green Book then no this was not normal or the correct response to this infraction. Only the tournament comittee in Williamsport can forfeit a game and for an illegal pitcher the normal response would be suspension of the manager since they do not want the kids to pay for the managers incompetence ( or his lack of time, training to understand the postseason rules ). This actually might be jugded an improper sub in which case there is no penalty. Egregious violations might cause a forfeit but Williamsport still must issue it. I don't know if you were in a LL post season tournament covered under the T pages rules. If you were the tournament officials and your coaches were poorly served by whoever was in charge. Whoever was in charge might have been poorly served by whoever put them in charge.

Berkut Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 686238)
If this was a LL postseason tournament goverened under the T rules in the back of the LL Green Book then no this was not normal or the correct response to this infraction. Only the tournament comittee in Williamsport can forfeit a game and for an illegal pitcher the normal response would be suspension of the manager since they do not want the kids to pay for the managers incompetence ( or his lack of time, training to understand the postseason rules ). This actually might be jugded an improper sub in which case there is no penalty. Egregious violations might cause a forfeit but Williamsport still must issue it. I don't know if you were in a LL post season tournament covered under the T pages rules. If you were the tournament officials and your coaches were poorly served by whoever was in charge. Whoever was in charge might have been poorly served by whoever put them in charge.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.