The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Umpire School

I have decided to go to professional umpire school in January. I have spoken to the staff at both schools and have done plenty of research on both schools. However, I am looking for advice from anyone on which school they would recommend and why. Thank you.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
I have decided to go to professional umpire school in January. I have spoken to the staff at both schools and have done plenty of research on both schools. However, I am looking for advice from anyone on which school they would recommend and why. Thank you.
Congratulations: you're about to learn a lot about umpiring!

It's unlikely you'll get much that will help you decide. Folks who went to Jimmy's generally think he's better, and folks who went to Harry's generally think he's better. :shrug:

There are differences in style, but the real test is whether you'll get a job in pro ball. I gather that a somewhat larger percentage of Jimmy's classes have gotten into PBUC in the last couple years. I'm not convinced that's decisive: Harry might have more students who aren't interested in a career in pro ball.

The bottom line is: if you're good enough at the end of pro school, PBUC will pick you up. You can get good enough at either school.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Umpire School

Thanks.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2010, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

At JEAPU, IMHO, you'll get more rule study, at the time I attended, at JEAPU, you'll have around 750 rules question or more, at Harry's 250. Jimmy utilizes camp games to put you through every situation you may run into during a game. Harry uses live games. How many times do you experience catchers interference during a game, or obstruction/interference? Timing plays etc? One other note, which sealed my decision to attend JEAPU. I attempted to contact that other school as well as JEAPU. Only Jimmy called me back...personally.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Umpire School

Funny you say that, because Jim called me back personally also. Thanks for the info.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Either way enjoy the experiece....Although the folks I know all swear by Harry's...I gotta believe the Evans Camp is even more loyal and rabid. Treat it as a learning vacation, where you can combine worrk and fun.

You can't go wrong...considering the price, it's really a low price working vacation.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
Either way enjoy the experiece....Although the folks I know all swear by Harry's...I gotta believe the Evans Camp is even more loyal and rabid. Treat it as a learning vacation, where you can combine worrk and fun.

You can't go wrong...considering the price, it's really a low price working vacation.
Only if you consider working six days a week, 8 to at least 5. Complete homework consuming 2-3 hours of time and then letting your body recoup.

Jimmys is the ONLY way to go if you want to be the best umpire you can be.

Now if you truely want a working vacation, go to Harry's.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 07:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I've heard the same things...if you want to see all situations (well most), go to Jimmy's where they simulate those things so you can actually see the situations that you might only see one or two times per year. Jimmy is also a licensed educator so he knows how to teach and how students learn.

Go to Harry's if you want to umpire actual baseball games, but you might not see the same situations since you're doing live games. Chances are, you may not learn as much. I haven't been to either one, and I've talked to people who have gone to one or the other and they both said that they learned a lot and IMO, they're good umpires too.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Only if you consider working six days a week, 8 to at least 5. Complete homework consuming 2-3 hours of time and then letting your body recoup.

Jimmys is the ONLY way to go if you want to be the best umpire you can be.

Now if you truely want a working vacation, go to Harry's.
So I'm assuming you went to both? Not sure, nor do I care, which is the "best"...but I do know Harry has more in the "Show" than Evans. Does that make one or the other better?

You must be the expert, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge....
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Only Jimmy called me back...personally.
Do you expect Hunter to have time right now to call you back?

Well, I guess he's had some time since Sunday.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 11:15pm
Veteran College Umpire

Yes, Harry's uses live games, but they alter those games and set up the odd and unusual plays and situations. For example, they'll tell a batter "When you hit the ball, miss first base on your way to second", or, "Get in a rundown and run into a fielder".....

I went to Harry's and 25 years later I'm a (fairly) successful D-1 umpire (10 conference tourneys and 5 D-1 Regionals). I've never regretted going to Harry's.

Oh, and it's not a "working vacation". You will work as hard as you want to, and you will be trained as well as you expect, and you will be given every opportunity to prove yourself, on the field, off the field, and in the classroom.

Be in the best physical condition you can whip yourself into BEFORE you go - you won't regret it!

JJ
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 08:18am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Yes, Harry's uses live games, but they alter those games and set up the odd and unusual plays and situations. For example, they'll tell a batter "When you hit the ball, miss first base on your way to second", or, "Get in a rundown and run into a fielder".....

I went to Harry's and 25 years later I'm a (fairly) successful D-1 umpire (10 conference tourneys and 5 D-1 Regionals). I've never regretted going to Harry's.

Oh, and it's not a "working vacation". You will work as hard as you want to, and you will be trained as well as you expect, and you will be given every opportunity to prove yourself, on the field, off the field, and in the classroom.

Be in the best physical condition you can whip yourself into BEFORE you go - you won't regret it!

JJ
With those game scenarios...that's interesting, I didn't know they did that. Thanks for the post.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Brinkman/Froemming is the best school! RIP
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
So I'm assuming you went to both? Not sure, nor do I care, which is the "best"...but I do know Harry has more in the "Show" than Evans. Does that make one or the other better?

You must be the expert, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge....
When you have Harry's graduates, including current MLB umpires, that show up and endorse Jim's methods, that's good enough for me.

I am a graduate of Jimmy's and know guys that went to both. Every guy that I have met that has attended both regard Jimmy's as the most indepth and intense experience.

It's pretty bad when you pay to attend umpire school, then have to waste PBUC training time to cover mechanics and rules that were not taught at one facility.

BTW, I am the expert, keep bowing.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

I am late to this, but...

I went to Harry's 25 years ago, and it was a great camp.

I have also heard that Evans is good, and both have improved over the years. When I went, Harry's was hands down better than Evans, but Mr. Evans had not really taken over the school yet.

Personally, I would hear more opinions about each school, and then find out what learning style you would prefer. Second, I would work every game you can leading up to either school, and condition hard (lots of sprints, lots of weights, esp. leg work, and lose some weight if you need to). Third, I would even consider going to a weekend camp before you go to school, especially if you have not seen any pitching in a while.

Fourth, I would find which school has fewer students, and seriously consider that in your evaluation. Fewer=more time for you. Fifth, assume that you will not make it into pro ball, so decide how hard you want to work at it while you are down there, and what school will help you to become the best umpire you can be, and help you to get to the highest level you wish to get to outside of pro ball.

Finally, get the best gear you can buy, and the best uniforms you can buy, and take them down there with you, including a plate coat if you can get one. Get your clothes custom tailored for you before you go down by a professional in your area.

P.S. Decide before you go, no alcohol while down there, and have lots of good food in your room for after your field work.