The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 01:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Look sharp back there. As others have said, slow down. I know I need to and you probably already know it.

And my comment from the last video you posted still applies: nice shin guards!!
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all for your comments. A couple of specifics I wanted to reply to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlav View Post

I don't know if being that close to the catcher was the cause of the minor bump I saw or if he just turned back on you and caught you by surprise a bit.

The Slav,

He completely surprised me by coming out to his left. It was obvious to me that the ball had been fouled out of play to the right, and it seems that catchers usually never initially turn to the side of the batter on these. I was ready for him on the next pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post

Timing is ok..... Might slow it down just a tad. On a swinging strike 3, you dont have to hurry your mechanic.

foul pop up on 3rd base side.... no need for a mechanic on a "can of corn".. that ball looked oviously foul...IMO pointing foul is not needed on this play.

You put the ball back in play after every foul ball with no runners on base.
That is ok..but with nobody on base, not really needed.

Head height was good...maybe a inch higher.

......I dont know your experience, but I have seen MUCH...MUCH WORSE. ... Now do you have any video of handling a pist off coach?? That's what I want to see. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
JM, I noticed the same things as Chris, with the same reaction. On the foul ball I signal foul but not the catch if it's above the waist, and I don't put the ball back in play unless runners are on base.

The CABA world series is around here this weekend. Wanna work some games?
Chris & Michael,

I noticed the same things about occasionally a little quick on the timing and a tad low with the head height. That's one of the reasons I like to get video of myself because I find it nearly impossible to evaluate myself on these things without seeing it.

With regard to putting the ball back in play, just something that was drilled into me when I started, so I do it whether there are runners or not; agree that it's unnecessary with no runners on.

On the foul, the players in this league WANT a call on a routine catch. Once had a routine catch on a "can of corn" to F8 and didn't make a signal. Got a few "That's a catch, isn't it blue?" comments, so now I just give them a mechanic.

Didn't have any "discussions" during this game but my videographer was under instructions to be sure to get it on tape if I did.

Michael, you should be careful throwing out invitations like that. If I hadn't been working the 18U/16U Northwestern Invitational this weekend, I just might have shown up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
You are not as low as you were in the last videos but I still think you should be up in your stance a bit more. You're chin still seems a bit below F2's head.

And I still think you're an old fart!
(one old fart to another!)
Ozzy,

No, now I'm an OLDER fart - I'm certainly not getting any younger. Agreed - head height better, still needs a little work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
As Jimmy teaches, there are there components to establishing your the height: Width of stance, crouch and lean. It appears you are depending too much on the crouch.
MrUmpire,

Very helpful observation. I've worked 5 plate games since you posted your comment, and I tried going "wider" with my stance, with less "squat". Felt comfortable and I "believe" I've got my head at a better height doing so. Have to see a pic/video to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJump View Post
... you need a new pair of socks. ...
NJump,

That's amazing. When I was dressing for the game, I popped my right big toe through a worn spot on the toe of the sock. I can't believe you picked that up from the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
... Around 5+ min. you called a ball and said "a little high or some description". I do not think you should describe where the pitch was. ...
I'm not sure which pitch you're referring to - I NEVER give location on a ball (other than to the catcher early in the game). There's one pitch in the dirt just past the 5:00 min. mark on one of the videos where I said "no offer" - might be the one you're referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post

And my comment from the last video you posted still applies: nice shin guards!!
Tanner,

I regularly receive compliments on my
shinguards!

Again, thanks to all for your comments.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 11:15am.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On the foul, the players in this league WANT a call on a routine catch.
So the players tell us how to umpire now? GREAT!!! I KNOW the pitchers want me to give them that pitch 2 ball off the plate too...I guess I better do it....

The players do not tell us how to umpire. What the big boys cannot tell if a ball caught above their head is a "catch"? Give me a break!

Not "raggin" on you coach..but don't let the rats run your game.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

UmpJM,

Thanks for posting these videos. That takes guts and a lot of integrity to throw yourself open to critiques. I may do the same, if I can find someone willing to tape me! You're a huge asset to this forum, and it's great to see you in action.

As for giving the players in a given league what they expect, why is that a problem? They - and the game - are the "clients," so to speak. Was it Richie Garcia who said, "a strike is where I call it and they don't *****"? We all give 'em what they want to some extent. This is entirely meet.

God bless,

Bob James

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Very nice and great courage to post. I don't have a problem putting the ball in play every time it is dead. It is a good habit. Do it rather nonchalantly and no voice with no runners, emphatically and with voice with runners.

The only thing I noted not mentioned here is that on one occassion players tossed balls to you from 20' or more. They should bring them to you or if tossed, a much shorter distance, like 5'. I especially despise a batter coming to the plate with a ball and he tosses it 20' before he reaches the plate. He is coming to the plate, why not hand it to me when he gets there.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
The only thing I noted not mentioned here is that on one occassion players tossed balls to you from 20' or more. They should bring them to you or if tossed, a much shorter distance, like 5'.
Get the catcher to catch them for you. That's why he's the CATCHer.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:13pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Very nice and great courage to post. I don't have a problem putting the ball in play every time it is dead. It is a good habit. Do it rather nonchalantly and no voice with no runners, emphatically and with voice with runners.

The only thing I noted not mentioned here is that on one occassion players tossed balls to you from 20' or more. They should bring them to you or if tossed, a much shorter distance, like 5'. I especially despise a batter coming to the plate with a ball and he tosses it 20' before he reaches the plate. He is coming to the plate, why not hand it to me when he gets there.
I do both of these...yes, I've grown to despise the on deck hitter tossing me a baseball when he's coming up to the plate anyway. I also strongly dislike the baseball used as long bowling balls. Run them out or throw them to the catcher. I try to bring it up at my plate meetings. Sometimes I forget though.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

When a ball is rolled to me--like they're helping--I stand there with my hands on my hips and look down at it for a moment. And then I slowly reach down and pick it up and look at the one who rolled it. Then, they don't roll any more.

And don't cover it in the pre-game. Less is more. Cover it when/if it happens.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:53pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Yeah, it's one sentence, one request.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Usually they understand after you get the catcher to get the first one.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Different expectations in different leagues / levels. You don't (imo) want to be the "******* umpire who makes us carry the balls out to him on an effin silver platter", nor do you want to be the "effin LL umpire who doesn't understand the protocol at this level."

And, you do sometimes have to spend some time "training" the participants what is expected / allowed. It's (occasionally) a fine line to walk.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 08:27am
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't make a big deal of it. I mention it one time casually and in good fun. If they don't do it, I don't remind them that we talked about it at the plate meeting. If they do it, I thank them each time they walk them out to me or a short toss, or if F2 helps...as a method of positive reinforcement.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
But, Johnny, veteran coaches will roll their eyes at you right from the plate meeting when you get too officious right from the start. It is not the tone you want to set. Cover only the stuff that is necessary and be brief.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 09:28am
Stop staring at me swan.

Kevin,

I agree with you. Typically the veteran coaches know that's it's a courteous thing to do.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

You'll overhear them sometimes, after a ball has been flipped to you: "Next time, hand it to the umpire."