The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

little league interference by batter

This is a play that happened in a minors little league game, and I don't understand what the rule is -- the ump we had was very good and clearly knowledgeable, so I assume he got it right.

Right handed batter, runner at second. C drops the pitch, and runner goes. Batter stays in the box, catcher tries to throw, but batter is in way. Tries to get around batter, finally throws, too late. If the batter was not in the way, the throw probably would have been in time to get the out. (It's minors --probably always comes with a few grains of salt . . . .)

What's the rule on this play? Does the batter have any obligation to get out of the way? Or is it only a problem if the batter intentionally does something to get *in* the way? I'd like to understand this rule so I can explain to batters what they need to do and to the catchers on what they can expect.

thx
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

If the batter does not move to interfere, no interference. The batter's box is where he's supposed to be. Ducking to avoid getting hit with the ball is a good idea.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

The batter cannot be expected to disappear. Standing in the box is a good place to be. However, just because he's standing still in the box does not exclude him from INT. If he has ample time to realize the play and get out of the way, standing there not moving becomes INT.

It boils down to umpire's judgment on whether he had time to react to the play, if he's standing in the box. 9 times out of 10 he'll be OK.

It's a pretty simple rule, but it's judgment on whether or not it's viloated.