The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Balk???

Had a sitch last night and I was unsure which of us was correct. OBR Rules. Runner on second, pitcher in stretch position. He whirls to throw to second and as he whirls, he falls and he hits the ground. He held onto the ball, but it hit the ground while he was in possession of it as he fell. My plate umpire called a balk. I did not feel it was but was not sure enough to have a conference. Of course, the defensive coaches questioned it, but accepted his explanation.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Gasp

I am TRYING not to type those famous words.

T
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alillard88 View Post
Had a sitch last night and I was unsure which of us was correct. OBR Rules. Runner on second, pitcher in stretch position. He whirls to throw to second and as he whirls, he falls and he hits the ground. He held onto the ball, but it hit the ground while he was in possession of it as he fell. My plate umpire called a balk. I did not feel it was but was not sure enough to have a conference. Of course, the defensive coaches questioned it, but accepted his explanation.
This is not a balk. As Tim C will tell you, "It's impossible to balk to second base."

Had F1 fallen before spinning, you might have something. But I would have told the PU that once F1 steps toward 2B in any fashion, his subsequent fall is legal, as is the ball coming loose.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alillard88 View Post
And the defensive coaches probably also thing that the hands are part of the bat! Just for the hell of it, was F1 gaining distance and direction toward 2nd base as he was falling?
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I was thinking the same as mbyron. He had definitely already turned toward second. It was one of those times where I just did not have a good enough feeling about what I remembered to approach U1. His rationale was that the ball touched the ground after being in the set position.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Quote:
"His rationale was that the ball touched the ground after being in the set position."
OK, got me. I did not know that was illegal UNLESS the ball was dropped?

Just remember:

It Is Impossible To Balk To An Occupied Second Base.

T
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

What if the ball pops out as he is turning?

As the pitcher is turning to 2nd base the ball pops out and both feet are on the ground (gaining distance and direction with non pivot) before the ball hits the ground?
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
It is totally possible to balk on a move to second base.

1) RHP F1 in windup. Bases loaded. He drops a heel and then turns and steps directly to 2nd. Balk. Started and stopped.

2) RHP F1 in set. He raises free foot, brings it down, and makes contact with the dirt on the homeplate side of the rubber, then scrapes it over the rubber in his step. Balk. No step.

3) RHP F1 in windup with R2 only. Begins normal pitching motion, free foot comes back, then up, and now he realizes he's pitching in the windup with just R2. He steps to 2nd. Balk. Started and stopped.

I could come up with more. Yes, as a general rule, its rare and requires some unusual circumstances. But things happen. Never say never.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
It is totally possible to balk on a move to second base.

1) RHP F1 in windup. Bases loaded. He drops a heel and then turns and steps directly to 2nd. Balk. Started and stopped.

2) RHP F1 in set. He raises free foot, brings it down, and makes contact with the dirt on the homeplate side of the rubber, then scrapes it over the rubber in his step. Balk. No step.

3) RHP F1 in windup with R2 only. Begins normal pitching motion, free foot comes back, then up, and now he realizes he's pitching in the windup with just R2. He steps to 2nd. Balk. Started and stopped.

I could come up with more. Yes, as a general rule, its rare and requires some unusual circumstances. But things happen. Never say never.
As you've shown yourself, none of these is balking TO second base.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I am just saying that declaring "it is impossible to balk to 2nd base" might be a bit misleading for somebody who is coming on here to learn, that's all. They may think no matter what the pitcher does, if he ends up going to 2nd, he's fine.

That's all. Its just how people may view the semantics of it.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I really appreciate all the input. It is probably one of those situations I will never see again, but if I do, I will have more confidence in my opinion.

On a side note, I do not post often, but I do read this site religiously and have become a better umpire and basketball official as a result. Thanks
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
That's all. Its just how people may view the semantics of it.
Although that's true, semantics always determines meaning, so it's not terribly informative.

I believe Tee's point in intoning that it's impossible to balk to (an occupied) second base is to encourage newer umpires to realize that virtually any move to 2B is legal, in contrast to 1B.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Just remember:

It Is Impossible To Balk To An Occupied Second Base.

T
It's a silly statement that may have been cogent many years ago.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

From the Old Guy

Well Kevin, Evans agrees with me so it must be current today.

Tuss gave a lot of good information but none of them are a balk "to" second base. Not sure what makes it silly as it is correct in all concepts.

I even asked Ken Burns

You want to go face-to-face with me one day just give me the invite.

T
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
As the pitcher is turning to 2nd base the ball pops out and both feet are on the ground (gaining distance and direction with non pivot) before the ball hits the ground?
Then it's a step and he's complied with the requirement. The rest is just an awkward feint.