The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I see how you're right on this T, what I listed are other things that are balks no matter if 2nd base is involved or not. How about this rule:

The act of F1 making a move to an occupied 2nd base can never, by itself, be a balk.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question - I had a sitch a couple of years ago. I did not call a balk (major brain freeze), although I think I should have. Runner on 2nd only. RHP. He turns his shoulders - well jerks them (left shoulder toward first, counterclockwise rotation) as to start a turn toward 2B. His feet never moved, he did not step toward 2B. Rules say you have to step toward the base (in contact with the rubber) on a feint.

Would this be a balk? I assume since he didn't make the step it still doesn't qualify as a balk "toward" 2B.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Like I freakin' care what "Mr. Umpire" thinks . . . he has documented his ignorance mant times.

Quote:
" . . . as to start a turn toward 2B. His feet never moved, he did not step toward 2B. Rules . . .
That sounds like a balk . . . a balk for failing to deliver the pitch.

Mbyron understands the statement better than many:

All the things list by Tuss are obviously balks. But none would be strictly defined as a balk to second base.

Umpires such as Finnerty and "Mr. Umpire" need to take a pill and settle down.

As a teaching device saying it is impossible to balk to an occupied second base sets the thought that a base (other than first) has little (or nothing) to do with balking to that base.

"Mr. Umpire" makes me very happy that he has blocked my posts . . . in fact I couldn't be happier.

I like to share in formation with "real" umpires.

Kevin, I called Ken Burns and got authorization to post the items above.

T
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Umpires such as Finnerty and "Mr. Umpire" need to take a pill and settle down.

"Mr. Umpire" makes me very happy that he has blocked my posts . . . in fact I couldn't be happier.

T
Tim C:

You really misunderstood me. I don't have you on ignore, I have KF, with whom I assumed you were debating, on ignore. I mean, how could I have quoted your post if I had you on ignore.

I have not disagreed with a post of yours, that I can recall, in the four years I've been here. And I assure you. I am a real umpire, perhaps not to your level, but up to Div III conference and D-1 non conference.

Please re-read my post. I think you'll see that you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.

And PLEASE don't lump me with KF. I know that I don't know everything.

Edited to add: Tim C, you have a PM

Last edited by MrUmpire; Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 11:59pm.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
It's a silly statement that may have been cogent many years ago.
Use it in my umpire training every year. My son is playing ball now, and we've had three balks called with R2 this season, and none of them were actual balks.

The umpires could have used my training.

The main problem with umpires today is they don't study the rules, they just go by what they "feel" or something.

Last night in a game I had "interference with fielder fielding a batted ball" and BI on play at the plate. Sadly most of the umpires I see today would probably not have called either one.

Thanks
David