The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Dave....thanks for hijacking what started out as an excellent thread by Ump25 about the bit****ng and moaning that we're all subjected to by idiot coaches.

It never ceases to amaze me how when a the OP is a good thread about apples, and oranges get mentioned in passing, someone feels the need to shift the discussion to oranges. Dave, if you want to talk about angles and how they should be applied in determining balks....start a new thread.

BTW, I think it's safe to assume that Ump25 knows a thing or two about balks at the college level, wether the game is being played under NCAA or OBR rules.
Thanks...I thought this thread was about the beetching coaches,then when I read it all, it had turned into umpires going at each other about Balk calls....let's stick with the idiot coaches and start new thread for Balks.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 11:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Fifty-nine?? You go down a freeway at anything under 70 around here and you'll get rear-ended.
Yeah, I was going to ask where the speed limit is still 55. I thought they got rid of that stupid law. I'm with Sammy Hagar on that one...I can't drive 55.

We change tires at 55 out here!

Oh, just to make TheShadowKnows and KJUmphappy... b*tching coaches suck!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Apr 14, 2010 at 11:07pm.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
Thanks...I thought this thread was about the beetching coaches,then when I read it all, it had turned into umpires going at each other about Balk calls....let's stick with the idiot coaches and start new thread for Balks.
That's because there's always an anal umpire who feels the need to start nitpicking and be overly and unnecessarily analytical. These are the guys who think that they can find fault in anything everyone here says.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Whatever works for each of us, yourself included, Rich, is all that matters. For me personally, I quit high school ball a few years ago because of the politics involved and the serious @ss-kissing I was expected to do in order to get in the good graces of the high school coaches. No thanks.

I do enjoy college ball, but I get more biitching from the DIII and NAIA coaches than I do from the DII and DI coaches.

In the situation at hand, I found out that the assignor who gave me the doubleheader yesterday talked to the head coach who told me I didn't know the rules. Summary: the head coach thought I was "big timing" him by telling him I do know the rules and that he was arguing rules with the wrong umpire. Because of this, he didn't want to see me anymore this year. I wasn't scheduled to go to his place anymore, which is fine (a 170-mile round-trip for that kind of ball wasn't worth it), but then my assignor removed me from a DH in May in which this head coach's team was the visiting team, and because my assignor has nothing else for me that day, I lose money.

Great. I make the absolute correct call, the head coach argues vehemently, calls my assignor between games to complain, and I'm removed from a future DH because the assignor tells me the coaches have the right to request not to see a certain umpire. It's one thing if an umpire is incompetent or cannot handle a specific level; it's another thing if it's an umpire with a good reputation and a superb knowledge of the rules.
I am a little late to this thread, but why didn't you warn and then eject this guy?
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
That's because there's always an anal umpire who feels the need to start nitpicking and be overly and unnecessarily analytical. These are the guys who think that they can find fault in anything everyone here says.
I'm having a problem with the phrasing of this one part.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I am a little late to this thread, but why didn't you warn and then eject this guy?
I try my best to not eject someone, Durham, and because it was the first inning of the first game, I admit I bent over backward to not eject him right away. True, it shouldn't matter what inning it is, but at the time he didn't cross that line that results in an ejection--at least to me he didn't. I am sure I could have easily been justified in ejecting him at some point, and perhaps I should have, but in hindsight, it didn't matter. I was off his Christmas card list regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm having a problem with the phrasing of this one part.
I am not singling out any specific person by name, Kevin, but what I think I'm trying to say is that it seems whenever someone posts here about a play they handled or a rule/ruling, SOMEone has to reply and pick apart or nitpick or find fault with such OP's handling of the situation, even if the OP happened to do everything perfectly.

I lump such people into the category of those who don't give the time when asked what it is; instead, they reply with instructions on how to build a watch.

I would hope that someone would slap me once or twice if I end up being too nitpicky or anal about something.

Last edited by UMP25; Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 12:30pm. Reason: Corrected typo
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I gotcha. I was trying to make fun of nitpickery myself.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm an advocate of K.I.S.S., despite the fact that I have in my career violated this (much less often now than in my earlier days, fortunately).
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely eject anyone, but I never get in the way of letting them eject themselves. I am not certain that this guy would have been ejected if I had the same situation with him, but I am rather certain that he would have had a warning in the 1st inning. After that he would have had the option to stay or go and I would not get in the way of either. If you had it to do again might you warn him in the 1st after you let him have his say and he kept at it?
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I didn't use the word "warn" or anything like that, but I did tell him I had had enough of the "rules" discussion and that the "debate" was over.