The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Catcher picks up ball with mask (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57837-catcher-picks-up-ball-mask.html)

Rich Ives Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 673311)
Except, of course, in FED - where it's two.

JM

Right after we get chastised (elsewhere) for bringing up the "wrong" rules in a discussion? :D

Skarecrow Sun Apr 11, 2010 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 673309)
On a pitch the award is one base.

But not with the catcher's inadvertent use of his mask to control the ball....that's the point....it changes the whole sitch...no longer has anything to do with the fact it was a pitch.....

Crabnut Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:15am

In the Mariners play, the umpires got together and determined that the ball was no longer a batted ball after the third baseman's touch, as he had changed impetus driving the ball. Hence, the ruling that it was a thrown ball (two base award on detached equipment) rather than a batted ball (three base award on detached equipment). Interesting ruling and they get paid big bucks for this. Notice that the MLB did not make any kind of a clarification on this, so it implies they go the ruling right, despite forum members saying they got it wrong. I tend to agree with the umpires on the field, but I am a Mariners fan suffering a minor disaster of an open to the season, and may not be objective.

Rich Ives Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skarecrow (Post 673382)
but not with the catcher's inadvertent use of his mask to control the ball....that's the point....it changes the whole sitch...no longer has anything to do with the fact it was a pitch.....

wtf?

BaBa Booey Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673382)
But not with the catcher's inadvertent use of his mask to control the ball....that's the point....it changes the whole sitch...no longer has anything to do with the fact it was a pitch.....

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I recall nothing about the catchers intent when using his mask. I'm pretty sure it states quite clearly that it 1 base on a pitched ball, 2 on a thrown ball, and 3 on a batted ball (from time of touch).

Umpmazza Mon Apr 12, 2010 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673247)
Seattle at Oakland....ball still live after touch by 3rd base, and catcher grabs ball rolling towards foul line with his mask...gave each runner one base....highlights showed this happend on July 11, 2009, with the A's and Rays...similar play....runners got one base then, too.....

this one was on a pitch though, so that is one base.

Skarecrow Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaBa Booey (Post 673447)
Can you clarify what you mean by this? I recall nothing about the catchers intent when using his mask. I'm pretty sure it states quite clearly that it 1 base on a pitched ball, 2 on a thrown ball, and 3 on a batted ball (from time of touch).

Quite a few comments here about it being on a pitch...award one base...My comment is that the pitch has ended, and the catcher (in the July 11, 2009 sitch) tried to shovel the loose pitched ball into his glove using his mask....it is no longer a one-base award because of a pitch...it is a two-base award for use of detached player equipment....I am not sure why I am hearing all of this anger or consternation at my statements...If I am wrong, simply state that, Please....I am trying to learn here....

UmpJM Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:55pm

Skarecrow,

Your earlier post was incoherent. Nobody could tell what you were saying.

Your most recent post is only marginally less so.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

JM

Rich Ives Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673546)
Quite a few comments here about it being on a pitch...award one base...My comment is that the pitch has ended, and the catcher (in the July 11, 2009 sitch) tried to shovel the loose pitched ball into his glove using his mask....it is no longer a one-base award because of a pitch...it is a two-base award for use of detached player equipment....I am not sure why I am hearing all of this anger or consternation at my statements...If I am wrong, simply state that, Please....I am trying to learn here....

OK - you're wrong.

Skarecrow Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 673549)
OK - you're wrong.

Sorry...still trying HARD to learn....how am I wrong? Seriously, try and help me out here....you are not being very helpful, which I thought was one of the goals of this forum....

You're saying that if a catcher shovels a loose pitch with his mask, you're giving one base only, because it started from a pitch? I very respectfully think that is the wrong application of the rule...

bob jenkins Tue Apr 13, 2010 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673550)
Sorry...still trying HARD to learn....how am I wrong? Seriously, try and help me out here....you are not being very helpful, which I thought was one of the goals of this forum....

You're saying that if a catcher shovels a loose pitch with his mask, you're giving one base only, because it started from a pitch? I very respectfully think that is the wrong application of the rule...

You said in your OP that the ball was still rolling. So, it's still a pitched ball. If it had gone out of play, it would have been a 1-base award. Same thing for F2 grabbing the ball with his mask.

Skarecrow Tue Apr 13, 2010 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 673571)
You said in your OP that the ball was still rolling. So, it's still a pitched ball. If it had gone out of play, it would have been a 1-base award. Same thing for F2 grabbing the ball with his mask.

Ok...you sound convinced, so I am convinced....I will ignore the implications of the detached equipment...I can see your reasoning....if the mask had interfered with a thrown ball (two bases)...a batted ball (impossible, but three bases)...a pitched ball (one base.) Thanks Bob, for the civil explanation.

Rich Ives Tue Apr 13, 2010 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673580)
Ok...you sound convinced, so I am convinced....I will ignore the implications of the detached equipment...I can see your reasoning....if the mask had interfered with a thrown ball (two bases)...a batted ball (impossible, but three bases)...a pitched ball (one base.) Thanks Bob, for the civil explanation.

a batted ball (impossible, but three bases)...

Not really - what if he scooped up a bunt with his mask?

w_sohl Sat Apr 17, 2010 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673550)

What they are saying is that the ball is either a..

1) Batted ball: put in play by the bat
2) Thrown ball: thrown by a fielder

or a

3) Pitched ball: Thrown by the pitcher. It remains a pitched ball till one of the other two happen or the catcher fields it in his glove or bare hand. It your sitch 1 and 2 didn't happen and the catcher didn't field it with his glove or bare hand so it was still a pitched ball when he controled it with his mask (detached equipment).

Skarecrow Sun Apr 18, 2010 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 674099)
What they are saying is that the ball is either a..

1) Batted ball: put in play by the bat
2) Thrown ball: thrown by a fielder

or a

3) Pitched ball: Thrown by the pitcher. It remains a pitched ball till one of the other two happen or the catcher fields it in his glove or bare hand. It your sitch 1 and 2 didn't happen and the catcher didn't field it with his glove or bare hand so it was still a pitched ball when he controled it with his mask (detached equipment).

Correct...I see that reasoning now...thanks.....