The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

FL balk in Mets game

I flipped on MLB radio late today and heard that FL balked in the tying run in the top of the 9th. The bases were loaded. They didn't say what the pitcher did to balk. My guess is he went from the set to the windup without stepping off. Did anyone see this happen?
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | FLA@NYM: Mets tie it as Matthews scores on a balk - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Bottom 8th. After coming set, Leo Nunez moved his glove then stopped. U3 definitely called it -- almost hilariously. PU may have called it, too, but his movement may have been reactionary to U3.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

that video does no justice...
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

That to me is a tough call to make. It was very slight. Maybe it looked worse from 3B.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
That to me is a tough call to make. It was very slight. Maybe it looked worse from 3B.
They regularly call balks on those tiny little twitches in MLB.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Correct. I've often said that we shouldn't look to MLB for guidance on how to call balks. Most of the time, those pitchers won't do what HS and under pitchers do, and much of what the MLB pitchers do that is a balk should properly be ignored at the HS and lower level (otherwise, there'd be multiple balks per inning).
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct. I've often said that we shouldn't look to MLB for guidance on how to call balks. Most of the time, those pitchers won't do what HS and under pitchers do, and much of what the MLB pitchers do that is a balk should properly be ignored at the HS and lower level (otherwise, there'd be multiple balks per inning).
You meant "per batter" not "per inning", right?

-Josh
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Ha Ha...I wasn't even close. Thanks for posting that video Yawetag.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

How dare the umpire call a balk that results in a run scoring!
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 09:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
How dare the umpire call a balk that results in a run scoring!
I did today when F1 dropped the ball with R2+R3. At 11-0 down, he probably hit on the only thing that would trip the balk trigger at that point in the game.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

After watching the video...shouldn't the pitcher have been allowed to pitch the ball and the hitter allowed to possibly hit the pitch?

In OBR we know balks are not an immediate dead ball as in FED.

How do we interpret this type of balk? Did the umpires get it right by killing the play instead of letting him pitch...and then enforcing the balk if needed?
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
After watching the video...shouldn't the pitcher have been allowed to pitch the ball and the hitter allowed to possibly hit the pitch?

In OBR we know balks are not an immediate dead ball as in FED.

How do we interpret this type of balk? Did the umpires get it right by killing the play instead of letting him pitch...and then enforcing the balk if needed?
He started and stopped. Once he stopped, the "pitch" was over. Enforce the balk.

You'll get the continuous action on failing to set, or not stepping toward the base / plate, etc. Not much else.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I've seen a lot of odd balks in the last week. Separating the hands in the set, starting and stopping from the stretch (three times same pitcher!), feinting to 1st during a jab-step, the inside move (twice), and not stepping within the 45. In the last one he stepped straight toward the plate. I got a chuckle out of it when the coach wanted to go look at the mound.

The tough part was going from college to h.s. to college and reacting properly. Sheeesh.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 09:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
He started and stopped. Once he stopped, the "pitch" was over. Enforce the balk.

You'll get the continuous action on failing to set, or not stepping toward the base / plate, etc. Not much else.
Okay...thank you.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviverito View Post
I've seen a lot of odd balks in the last week.
Yesterday called balk on the same college pitcher blowing through the stop sign 3 times. His coach was MAAAAD. Also called one on the opposing team pitcher for the same thing. Added 'em up after the game...those four brings the grand total for the past seven days up to a bakers dozen.

Funny thing - I don't consider myself balkin-Bob. These were all so obvious that I'da caught hell for not calling them. Wierd...I don't think I've called that many balks in a season let alone one week. Note: I was rained out last T & W. I did not work on Th. So over the past four days I had 13 balks. A personal high.