The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

The following is a statement from the NFHS home page.

The National Federation of State High School Associations is the national service and administrative organization of high school athletics and fine arts programs in speech, debate and music. From its offices in Indianapolis, Indiana, the NFHS serves its 50 member state high school athletic/activity associations, plus the District of Columbia.

Notice the statement "serves its 50 member state high school athletic/activity associations" (for the 50 states), therefore, why are there still a few states not adopting FED rules?

Can't the NFHS FORCE these states to adopt their rules? If HS athletics (for all 50 US States) are under the auspices of the NFHS, then shouldn't each state abide by THEIR rules in order to be a member?

I realize certain states don't abide by ALL FED rules such as the Mercy Rule, but at least they are using FED rules.

I'm surprised that the NFHS hasn't done something about these "Other" states not adopting THEIR rules. What about insurance issues? If a state does not adopt the Rules set forth by the NFHS and someone gets hurt, aren't these HS's in a particular state putting themselves at risk?

If you join another organization ala LL, you are Required to adopt THEIR rules or Your Charter could be revoked and you could face all kinds of insurance issues. IMO HS should be no different.

I've heard (nothing concrete so I don't want to be misquoted), that Mass is about to adopt FED rules and Rhode Island is right around the corner but the question? why aren't these particular states which are governed by the auspices of the NFHS FORCED to adopt FED rules?

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
but the question? why aren't these particular states which are governed by the auspices of the NFHS FORCED to adopt FED rules?

Pete Booth
Because it's a free country.

The states that don't follow FED rules don't have a say in how the rules are implemented / changed.

Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Pete, compare these two sentences:

The National Federation of State High School Associations is the national service and administrative organization of high school athletics and fine arts programs in speech, debate and music.

and

Notice the statement "serves its 50 member state high school athletic/activity associations" (for the 50 states), therefore, why are there still a few states not adopting FED rules?

Get it yet? Some states choose to operate within the NFHSS framework for activities other than sports. MA and RI work with FED in music and debate competitions. So FED is indeed in all 50 states.

But let's not stop there. There are even states that operate under NFHSS "auspices" for some sports, but not others. Texas, for example, uses NCAA rules for high school football.

You ask:

Can't the NFHS FORCE these states to adopt their rules?

No, they can't. Adoption is up to each state. And even when FED is adopted by a state, certain rules are governed by local option.

With the recent demise of NFOA, you may well see some of FED's grip on other states slip. I know of talks in some coaching and refereeing circles of Washington state to begin the process of moving to NCAA rules for football.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Must be the amount of democrat's in Mass & R.I. that keep them join the Fed, rumor has it Mr. Porter will lead his state to leave the union,it they adopt it, Thank God Block Island is still short trip from New London, Ct.

three kitten's for beer's jim???
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by GarthB

Adoption is up to each state. And even when FED is adopted by a state, certain rules are governed by local option.

Garth what about insurance issues? If a state does not adopt FED, but OBR, for all practical purposes there are no bat restrictions dealing with weight. You could have a minus 15 bat or these new Titanium bats.

As you are aware FED has a bat spec policy of minus 3, so my question? do states that do not adopt FED have to supplement their own insurance?

Also, doesn't it seem odd that only 2/3 states would not adopt FED?

I guess my real point is this. In college, all activities (ie recruiting rules, game rules etc.) are governed by the NCAA. In other words in college one doesn't have a choice. The NCAA rules as we have seen when schools received the death penalty for recruiting violations ala SMU after the Dickerson years.

Let's assume the FED adopts a policy of Steroid testing for HS athletes. If a state does not abide by FED rules, then technically they wouldn't have to follow that policy since this restriction is not contained in the rules.

I gues I am having a hard time inderstanding why there are only a few states that do not use FED rules and the rest of the US does. If there is one overriding body (ala the NCAA) in HS called the NFHS then IMO all schools should have to abide by the rules / regulations set forth by that governing body or you could have each school do what they want.

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Pete

If I may be so bold:

First, you are assuming that your position is the "correct" one. "All states should follow FEDlandia" to paraphrase your thought.

Maybe "all states should abandon FEDlandia" is the "correct" side. I think we need to digress for a moment and look at many issues.

Second, any administrative issues (i.e. insurance, legal assistance, etc.) would obviously be covered by a system within the state in question so that is not a germane issue.

Third, ANY state can adopt a rule book and make adjustments. Now I have no idea about Rhode Island but they could easily adopt a "bat" regulation and cover that individual issue and still play OBR.

Four, NCAA shools are "voluntary" members of the association. A few years ago the major universities considered in football to split off and form the College Football Alliance. This would allow the universities to not only control playing rules but recruitment issues and eligibility with different regulations than those of the NCAA. Oh yeah, the would also control the MONEY from all NCAA games probably something they NEVER considered. :-}

Five, again the National Federation is a voluntary organization. There are more children involved in other non-sport areas than all sports oriented activities. Not only are you only considering just sport, your true interest lies in BASEBALL -- a sport tht is slowly "dieing" in terms of numbers of players as documented by FED.

Six, again contrary to Jim Porter's posts both MASS and RI ARE "considering" moving to FED in all sports. I hope that never occurs. I LIKE the fact that a group is strong enough to stand on its own.

Last, FED has explained quite clearly that they will ALWAYS sell their rules, case and umpire books. They will never be "on-line". I mention this becasue the reasoning is again what makes FEDlandia different than the NCAA.

NFHS DOES NOT sponsor national championships. Because of this they do not have income streams like those that the NCAA controls. The budget for FED national headquarters comes from the sale of rules books and school fees charged to be a member of the association.

Since there are NO national championships (sponsored by FED) there is no ultimate motivation for a state to follow any rules with the exception of those that govern a state championship level of competetion.

Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Pete

In college, the schools travel around the COUNTRY to play each other - a uniform national set of rules is necessary. HS teams typically stay within their STATE so only state rules are necessary.

Colleges recruit nationally - HS teams are generally made up from only their owh pre-established district.

In college, the recruiting/scholarship rules vary by division.

In college, you may play D1 in one sport and D-something-else in the others - kinda selecting which rules apply by sport isn't it?

If you don't like the NCAA there is an alternative - the NAIA.
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Garth what about insurance issues?

FED is not the only provider of insurance.

If a state does not adopt FED, but OBR, for all practical purposes there are no bat restrictions dealing with weight. You could have a minus 15 bat or these new Titanium bats.

The states which have not adopted FED all have added safety rules to OBR. I do not know if they consider bat rules to be a safety rule or not, it would be up to them. They are allowed to adopt rules that we don't necessarily agree with. (And, why not...FED has been doing that for years)

As you are aware FED has a bat spec policy of minus 3, so my question? do states that do not adopt FED have to supplement their own insurance?

As a varsity umpire, yes, I understand the FED safety rules. Again, there are plenty of insurance providers. FED is having its own problems in that area. Reports are that they paid out over $3,500,000 last year.

Also, doesn't it seem odd that only 2/3 states would not adopt FED?

I dunno. Do we measure intelligence by majority opinion? If so, Benjamin Franklin was one of the greatest presidents we've ever had. (Harvard survey on American Awarness of History and Geography, circa 1999)

I guess my real point is this. In college, all activities (ie recruiting rules, game rules etc.) are governed by the NCAA. In other words in college one doesn't have a choice. The NCAA rules as we have seen when schools received the death penalty for recruiting violations ala SMU after the Dickerson years.

Only member schools are affected by NCAA rules and other torture. Granted, NCAA yields a much bigger club (money and national scheduling) than FED does and few colleges can afford to go their own way, but nonetheless, membership is voluntary and schools do have a "choice". It's just that it's a real easy choice to make.

Let's assume the FED adopts a policy of Steroid testing for HS athletes. If a state does not abide by FED rules, then technically they wouldn't have to follow that policy since this restriction is not contained in the rules.

True. But drug testing in every state that has it that I am aware of is mandated by a state organization, not FED. For example, here in Washington it is the Washington Interscholastic Activities Assoication that coordinates drug testing programs. Local school athletic associations may add to it, but they may not ignore it.

gues I am having a hard time inderstanding why there are only a few states that do not use FED rules and the rest of the US does.

Sometimes enough people who think alike are in a position to act. MA and RI are two examples. Sometimes in doesn't take a majority, just a couple of poeple in the right place.

If there is one overriding body (ala the NCAA) in HS called the NFHS then IMO all schools should have to abide by the rules / regulations set forth by that governing body or you could have each school do what they want.

Not each school, but each state. Because of our state sponsored public school system in this country, states can require local schools to abide by certain statewide rules and regulations. But yes, states are free to belong or not belong to FED. And again, FED does not have the clout NCAA has.

Thanks

Pete Booth

You're welcome

GB