View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Garth what about insurance issues?

FED is not the only provider of insurance.

If a state does not adopt FED, but OBR, for all practical purposes there are no bat restrictions dealing with weight. You could have a minus 15 bat or these new Titanium bats.

The states which have not adopted FED all have added safety rules to OBR. I do not know if they consider bat rules to be a safety rule or not, it would be up to them. They are allowed to adopt rules that we don't necessarily agree with. (And, why not...FED has been doing that for years)

As you are aware FED has a bat spec policy of minus 3, so my question? do states that do not adopt FED have to supplement their own insurance?

As a varsity umpire, yes, I understand the FED safety rules. Again, there are plenty of insurance providers. FED is having its own problems in that area. Reports are that they paid out over $3,500,000 last year.

Also, doesn't it seem odd that only 2/3 states would not adopt FED?

I dunno. Do we measure intelligence by majority opinion? If so, Benjamin Franklin was one of the greatest presidents we've ever had. (Harvard survey on American Awarness of History and Geography, circa 1999)

I guess my real point is this. In college, all activities (ie recruiting rules, game rules etc.) are governed by the NCAA. In other words in college one doesn't have a choice. The NCAA rules as we have seen when schools received the death penalty for recruiting violations ala SMU after the Dickerson years.

Only member schools are affected by NCAA rules and other torture. Granted, NCAA yields a much bigger club (money and national scheduling) than FED does and few colleges can afford to go their own way, but nonetheless, membership is voluntary and schools do have a "choice". It's just that it's a real easy choice to make.

Let's assume the FED adopts a policy of Steroid testing for HS athletes. If a state does not abide by FED rules, then technically they wouldn't have to follow that policy since this restriction is not contained in the rules.

True. But drug testing in every state that has it that I am aware of is mandated by a state organization, not FED. For example, here in Washington it is the Washington Interscholastic Activities Assoication that coordinates drug testing programs. Local school athletic associations may add to it, but they may not ignore it.

gues I am having a hard time inderstanding why there are only a few states that do not use FED rules and the rest of the US does.

Sometimes enough people who think alike are in a position to act. MA and RI are two examples. Sometimes in doesn't take a majority, just a couple of poeple in the right place.

If there is one overriding body (ala the NCAA) in HS called the NFHS then IMO all schools should have to abide by the rules / regulations set forth by that governing body or you could have each school do what they want.

Not each school, but each state. Because of our state sponsored public school system in this country, states can require local schools to abide by certain statewide rules and regulations. But yes, states are free to belong or not belong to FED. And again, FED does not have the clout NCAA has.

Thanks

Pete Booth

You're welcome

GB