The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Player Ejected - Stays in Dugout

Under FED rules, after a player is ejected, they are permitted to remain in the dugout (for supervision purposes). Can anyone provide a reference to this in the rule book, case book, or other NFHS publication? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

If that's the case then get rid of the assistant coach too. Send them both to the bus and then the player will have a babysitter.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

My very first non-malicious contact-related ejectee was still peppering me with comments from the bench several minutes after being ejected. I called the coach over and expressed to him that although my hands are tied as far as making an underage player leave the area, he's going to need to come up with a solution if he can't shut him up.

So he goes over to the kid's parents (where the kid no-doubt learned his spoiled, profane, smart-assed ways), and says, "As of this minute, your son is no longer a member of this team. Please take him home." (I learned in an email that the kid was reinstated after a three-game suspension.)

It was one of the most satisfying moments I ever had in umpiring.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post

So he goes over to the kid's parents (where the kid no-doubt learned his spoiled, profane, smart-assed ways), and says, "As of this minute, your son is no longer a member of this team. Please take him home." (I learned in an email that the kid was reinstated after a three-game suspension.)

agreed!!!
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
My very first non-malicious contact-related ejectee was still peppering me with comments from the bench several minutes after being ejected. I called the coach over and expressed to him that although my hands are tied as far as making an underage player leave the area, he's going to need to come up with a solution if he can't shut him up.

Wow. Great job coach.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think each state handles this differently. I believe here in PA the ejected player can't be without supervision.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 06:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Save yourself the liability...leave the kid in the dugout, file an incident report with the state high school league (or whatever it's called in your part of the USA), and tell the coach to handle it. If he doesn't, then he can go to...
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

I told the coach to handle it; he handled it. I let him stay. The parents signed the kid out like it was day camp.

Then after they left, the other parents started cheering the coach. The catcher came out for the next inning and said seeing him go was the highlight of their season.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I suspect that the kid got away with being a smart-*** not only with his parents, but also with his teachers and a lot of other adults.

It probably came as a surprise to him that being a wise-*** can get you booted from a ballgame.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

In SC, an ejected player absolutely has to remain in the dugout under adult (coach) supervision. This is not a rulebook, per se, but is direct from the South Carolina High School League.

If the ejected player continues the misconduct from the bench, we remind the head coach of the requirement that the ejected player be under constant supervision and then ask the head coach which assistant coach will be leaving with the player to either (a) sit on the team bus or (b) go to the lockeroom.