The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

"Game Six" book recommendation

I just finished reading "Game Six" by Mark Frost, published in hardcover last September (paperback in May; I got it from the library). It's about the 1975 World Series game between Boston and Cincy that ended with Carton Fisk's homerun bouncing off Fenway's left field fair pole. I'd give it an A-, although it has only a few crumbs about umpiring.

The book is a pitch-by-pitch account of the game, interspersed with stories about the players, the team officials, the 1975 season, the two franchises, and the game of baseball itself, from rounders to free agency. It's pretty well-written, and from a baseball perspective. Of interest both to the devoted and the new fan.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:27pm
Veteran College Umpire

Sounds like a book version of "For Love of the Game"

JJ
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Of all the championship series and World Series that we've seen in our lives, when you hear Game 6, you immediately are drawn to the memory of Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. It was that magnificent.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

As a kid growing up in the heart of Reds country, the 1975 Series is probably burned into my memory more than any other.

To this day, whenever Fisk's home run is replayed (which it seems to be fairly often) I curse at the TV and scream, "BIG DEAL! YOU LOST THE NEXT GAME AND YOU LOST THE WORLD SERIES!".

As if my wife doesn't already think I'm nuts, this usually serves to seal the deal...