The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Learning the Rule Book

Just curious as to how everyone reads their rulebook, and how to learn from it most effectively? When I started two years ago I started going from cover to cover, but am thinking that might not be the best way. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

(If it matters, FED rulebook, casebook, and manual).
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I make a 8.5 x 11 copy of the NCAA, FED, OBR or any rulebook I need to learn and put it in a binder with sheet protectors. I find it a great deal easier to absorb in that format than those little rulebooks.

For on-the-road reference, I guess those little ones are more handy, but as far as home library reading and highlighting go, the download-and-print-and-bind method is the way to go. You will be able to read it for longer periods of time this way. It's somewhat of a hassle, but once you have these binders all set up, it's fabulous. (The NCAA one's the easiest--they want you to have their rules; the two others have to be opened and downloaded a section at a time.)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uplo...6a642aa8eb.pdf

Official Rules | MLB.com: Official info

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 06:36pm.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Just curious as to how everyone reads their rulebook, and how to learn from it most effectively? When I started two years ago I started going from cover to cover, but am thinking that might not be the best way. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

(If it matters, FED rulebook, casebook, and manual).
Step 1: Forget what you "know" about baseball and umpiring.

Step 2: Start with the rules definitions.

Step 3: Read the case book definitions and follow up on any cases you don't get right.

Step 4: Read the rest of the case book, skipping the "playing field" and much of the "scoring" section (in FED, the first, iirc, section of scoring is important.)
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a copy of FED rules in .pdf version? I have heard you can download them through the NFHS website, but am unsure where to find them there.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Does anyone have a copy of FED rules in .pdf version? I have heard you can download them through the NFHS website, but am unsure where to find them there.
Log in. In the menu at right, choose "Publications Library." Select "Rules Information," then "Baseball."

Both the rule book and case book are available.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Don't forget, the true measure of an umpire is not how many rules he knows, its how he applies the rules he does know in the heat of a game. There are many arcane, hardly ever used rules all codes, and it pays to read all of them. The facts are that some you will never have to use at all, others you will use in every game. There are a few that always will bite you in the butt if you are the least bit unsure, those being in my opinion ( others will hopefully add more to the list):
- Dead ball awards
- Pitching regulations
- Batting out of order
- Substitutions
- Obstruction/Interference
- Force Play Slide Rules
- DH rules

Again, there is no substitute for learning umpiring on the field. Memorization of rules with no link to real life situations on the field will not help you. Don't be a rule book umpire, be an umpire with solid mechanics and field presence who has a solid grasp of the rules and how to apply them.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Log in. In the menu at right, choose "Publications Library." Select "Rules Information," then "Baseball."

Both the rule book and case book are available.
Good advice- as long as you've taken these first two steps before trying to follow that advice:

1) Become a paid member of the NFHS.

2) Register with their web site.

If you haven't paid their annual dues, you can't register. If you haven't registered, you can't log in to access the rule books.

You might already be a member and not realize it if you officiate any high school sports. The NFHS annual membership fee is often part of the fees you pay to renew your officiating permits. That's not the case in all states, but it is in many of them.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 06:51pm
Stop staring at me swan.

What's nice about the pdf's is that they're fully searchable...if you need to find something quickly...the search feature is nice...it's good for quoting rules if you don't have them memorized and you're a person that people email for rules and interpretations of plays that they see...whenever I respond to an email from one of our members, I try to always quote the page number, rule number, or case play regarding the play they're using...yes, they should be looking on their own, but reality says that doesn't work.

I think you're receiving some great advice here...I like the page protector/binder idea.

When you go to 8.5x11 pages do you enlarge the print or just print them as they are?

Thanks.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Rules By Topic is a fairly good supplemental book on FED rules.

Honig's Whistle Stop Online Store - Products
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answers everyone, I am receiving many good tips.

Looks like I will have to pay NFHS to get a downloadable copy though.

I agree that pure memorization doesn't help if you don't have situations to relate it to. I noticed that last winter when I started reviewing again that it was alot easier to picture things with a year of experience down, and am sure it will be even better this year.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Oh, and don't forget to keep your copy of the BRD handy when reviewing different codes. The BRD makes if much easier for me when I am switching between OBR and other rules sets.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Just an opinion

If an umpire becomes and expert on Batting Out of Order and the NCAA Designated Hitter rule all else will become second nature.

Regards,
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Oh, and don't forget to keep your copy of the BRD handy when reviewing different codes. The BRD makes if much easier for me when I am switching between OBR and other rules sets.
While I agree that it's a good reference, if one is just trying to learn FED rules (or any other single set), I find it easier to "forget" the other codes and just concentrate on the one. Learn each individually before trying to remember the differences.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I reread my most-used rulebooks straight through in digestible chunks every January/February. I use color-coded highlighting, but everyone has their own learning style.

More importantly, after my games, I review the rules covering all plays that I have any question about and think about how I would explain my call in 25 words or less. I do the same thing with sitches on this forum.

The BRD (Baseball Rule Differences) really helps to highlight nuances. (Wish it had a better TOC and index.)
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:13pm
Veteran College Umpire

Find an association AND a buddy or two and wade through the books together regularly. You'll get different slants on interps and situations.
Pick up on situations you see on this forum and read related rules and case book entries - it'll get you in the habit of "looking stuff up".
REMEMBER! DON'T STOP LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER JUST BECAUSE YOU FIND ONE!!!!!

JJ