The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Squeeze play in LL? Really? I don't do LL however, I'm under the impression that in LL, the runner can not leave the base until the ball is passed the batter. Therefore, how can you have a squeeze play?
Can't do a suicide squeeze, but you could still run a squeeze play.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Squeeze play in LL? Really? I don't do LL however, I'm under the impression that in LL, the runner can not leave the base until the ball is passed the batter. Therefore, how can you have a squeeze play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Can't do a suicide squeeze, but you could still run a squeeze play.
Yes, it's called a "safety squeeze."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
The LL book says 7.07 only applies to the Junior, Senior, and Big Leagues.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Some prime examples:
Based loaded, infield hit or bunt, any runner leaves early, R3 put in dugout, no out or run?
Special pinch runner
Correct. It's the "evaporation" rule. I have never seen it. Some friends of mine have.

LL asks that on such a play, umps must adjudicate what is the "clean hit" by B1. If the rock doesn't leave the infield and no outs are recorded, R3 "vanishes."
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
Correct. It's the "evaporation" rule. I have never seen it. Some friends of mine have.

LL asks that on such a play, umps must adjudicate what is the "clean hit" by B1. If the rock doesn't leave the infield and no outs are recorded, R3 "vanishes."
LL umpires around here call it the "poof" rule, as it "poof....he disappeared."

Last edited by MrUmpire; Tue Nov 24, 2009 at 04:59pm.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory View Post
Hello,
I'm looking at LL RB 7.07 in which during a squeeze attempt and the catcher moves in front of or on the plate or contacts the batter or bat. The umpire is supposed to rule a balk on the pitcher and award first to the batter on the interference. Why not just call interference and give home and first due to that? Why the balk call - is that simply to justify the award of home?
What started out as a pitching motion ended up as a throw to the plate... Balk! They'll call a balk if the catcher leaves the box before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
What started out as a pitching motion ended up as a throw to the plate... Balk! They'll call a balk if the catcher leaves the box before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.
As long as the pitcher continued to a make legal pitching delivery, it is still a pitch and not a throw.

A pitcher may disengage and throw to home.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What started out as a pitching motion ended up as a throw to the plate... Balk!

Nope. It's still a pitch.

They'll call a balk if the catcher leaves the box before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand

The interpretation in use is that the catcher cannot move from the box until the time of the pitch - which is when the motion commits the pitcher to pitch.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They'll call a balk if the catcher leaves the box before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.
That's the rule (on an IBB), but I've never seen it called and I hope I never do.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yes, it's called a "safety squeeze."
I'm just wondering how a catcher would know a safety squeeze is on if R3 does not leave the base until the ball reaches the plate (Normal LL), or, why he would see a need to step in front of the plate.

I called a walk off balk in Fall ball, with R2 and R3 and 1 out, when the catcher stepped out of the box by at least 6 feet, before the pitcher even started his motion, but he started as soon as catcher was in place out of the box. At every plate meeting the coaches talked about balks (I did not bring it up), they wanted us to call balks so the kids can learn during Fall ball, no warnings.

Last edited by DG; Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 10:51pm.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I called a walk off balk in Fall ball, with R2 and R3 and 1 out, when the catcher stepped out of the box by at least 6 feet, before the pitcher even started his motion, but he started as soon as catcher was in place out of the box.
DG....no balk here. It can only be called if it's an IBB. Without the IBB, I would not let the pitcher pitch until the catcher set up correctly. I have never had this happen, but this is how I would handle it.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
DG....no balk here. It can only be called if it's an IBB. Without the IBB, I would not let the pitcher pitch until the catcher set up correctly. I have never had this happen, but this is how I would handle it.
Given the game situation I'd bet a lot that it was an IBB.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Given the game situation I'd bet a lot that it was an IBB.
Opps....After reading it again, I wouldn't take that bet.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post

I called a walk off balk in Fall ball, with R2 and R3 and 1 out, when the catcher stepped out of the box by at least 6 feet, before the pitcher even started his motion, but he started as soon as catcher was in place out of the box. At every plate meeting the coaches talked about balks (I did not bring it up), they wanted us to call balks so the kids can learn during Fall ball, no warnings.
When coaches say that, usually they are looking for reinforcement of what they've been warning their pitchers about. I doubt "the lesson" you taught them was on their radar.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
When coaches say that, usually they are looking for reinforcement of what they've been warning their pitchers about. I doubt "the lesson" you taught them was on their radar.
I am pretty sure that one was not on their radar. I overhead the manager telling the league commissioner after the game that a game should not end that way, and I agree, properly instructed catcher will not do that, and if a pitcher saw him step out he should have stepped off and called for a meeting instead of starting his motion. I doubt there was any player or coach in the league who did not hear about it, so I don't expect it will happen in the Spring.