The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Balk

Hello,
I'm looking at LL RB 7.07 in which during a squeeze attempt and the catcher moves in front of or on the plate or contacts the batter or bat. The umpire is supposed to rule a balk on the pitcher and award first to the batter on the interference. Why not just call interference and give home and first due to that? Why the balk call - is that simply to justify the award of home?
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory View Post
Hello,
I'm looking at LL RB 7.07 in which during a squeeze attempt and the catcher moves in front of or on the plate or contacts the batter or bat. The umpire is supposed to rule a balk on the pitcher and award first to the batter on the interference. Why not just call interference and give home and first due to that? Why the balk call - is that simply to justify the award of home?
What if there's a runner on second (with no runner on first) who isn't advancing on the squeeze play?
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

victory,

It's adopted from the OBR (aka MLB) rules, on which LL rules are based. It's a "double penalty" because the OBR rule makers wanted to REALLY discourage this particular infraction.

Since, during a true "squeeze play", the R3 is attempting to advance "on the pitch", he would score on the catcher's interference whether a balk was part of the penalty or not.

The only time the 7.07 balk provision makes any difference at all is when there is a squeeze play with an R3 & R2 only, AND the R2 is not attempting to advance on the play. Otherwise, the catcher's interference penalty will produce the same result.

JM
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. But is this pitcher (really catcher interference) balk in any other rule book or just little league? I don't think anyone would argue awarding bases on catcher interference but I can just hear the screaming when you call a balk on the pitcher in this case.

I was watching one of those Jim Evans You Make The Call videos and there was this exact case described and the multiple choice videos had balk or interference. The answer was interference.

The rule makes no mention of a R2 only a R3. Why would the rule maker want to award R2 a base since you are really just trying to plug via rule any easy way for the defense to block a squeeze.

Last edited by victory; Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 08:33pm.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory View Post
Thanks. But is this pitcher (really catcher interference) balk in any other rule book or just little league?
LL 7.07: If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or the bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first on the interference and the ball is dead.

OBR 7.07: If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead.

NCAA 8-3-p: If, on an attempted squeeze play or steal of home plate, the catcher steps on or in front of home plate without possession of the ball or touches the batter or the bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk and the catcher with interference.
PENALTY—The ball becomes dead, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference, the run scores and all other runners advance one base.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rich that about sums it up I guess.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
OBR 7.07: If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead.
This served as a great refresher course for me as it came in handy in my game yesterday. With 1 out and a 3/2 count, R3 tried to steal home as the pitcher went into his windup. the pitcher was alerted to the theft, sped up his delivery slightly, delivered strike 3 called as the catcher came out of his crouch, caught the pitch, and then easily tagged out a standing R3 for the 3rd out.

The defense wanted to argue interference, to which I stated, "No, he didn't step on or in front of home plate without the ball, or touch the batter, so no interference." End of argument, end of inning.

I'm glad I had this fresh in my mind and made me sound like I knew what I was talking about!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 10:49am.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
It's always nice to sound like we know what we are talking about!! That is really what this forum is about, to keep things on the top of the bubbling cesspool of thoughts that is my brain!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Squeeze play in LL? Really? I don't do LL however, I'm under the impression that in LL, the runner can not leave the base until the ball is passed the batter. Therefore, how can you have a squeeze play?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that runner's can't lead off doesn't change the fact that you can still have a squeeze. The runner leaves when the ball crosses the plate, or when the batter contacts the ball. Runners still steal bases and all that stuff in LL, too.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Balk

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Squeeze play in LL? Really? I don't do LL however, I'm under the impression that in LL, the runner can not leave the base until the ball is passed the batter. Therefore, how can you have a squeeze play?
Little League refers to Little League's Major League, usually 11 and 12 year olds. Played on 60' tight bases. Minors which is usually 9 and 10 year olds is also played on 60' tight bases and continous batting order.

The Junior, Senior, and Big League divisions of Little League is played on 90' loose bases and is more like HS ball but with some different rules. A lot of times the LL rules are more confusing that FED rules.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Whats the distinction between 'tight' and 'loose' bases?

-----------------------
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Whats the distinction between 'tight' and 'loose' bases?
I was wondering that as well and then it dawned on me that "tight" refers to no lead offs and "loose" refers to lead offs allowed.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
A lot of times the LL rules are more confusing that FED rules.
The only rules in the world more confusing than FED rules are the NCAA ones.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The only rules in the world more confusing than FED rules are the NCAA ones.
Some prime examples:
Based loaded, infield hit or bunt, any runner leaves early, R3 put in dugout, no out or run?
Special pinch runner