Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Ummm - No, I'm not.

I suppose I sould cave been clearer. "Him" refers to U3, not to Scioscia. McClelland could have very easily gone to PU ( or crew in general) to ask if he missed something. Surely one of then would have said obvious tag while off the base. McClelland gives the hammer. Play over, Move on.
Robbie, this isn't "kiddie ball", this is the real deal. Each umpire is responsible for his own calls. These guys don't put their call on another umpire like so many amateur umpires do.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

RP, yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
JK, in this situation the U3 has NOTHING more to do than to get sufficient angle to line up the runner and the catch. If you can't get that simple responsibility done, maybe you should be doing something else.
As you well know the speed of the game is very quick out there, and if the ball is a rocket shot the 3B umpire might have a harder time lining it up than the HP umpire does. The PU does have the whole field in front of him and U3 does not.

However, before Kevin assumes I am defending Tim in this case, please be advised that I'm not. Yes, U3 has little to do except for one or two calls a night and making sure runners hit 3B and tag up. He ought to get it right. I am confused as to why he called the out in the first place. He had to know he did not get a great look at the tag.

Unless he is suffering from assume disease...
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

This guy could have lined that catch up in time ... if he showed effort and interest:

Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
As you well know the speed of the game is very quick out there, and if the ball is a rocket shot the 3B umpire might have a harder time lining it up than the HP umpire does. The PU does have the whole field in front of him and U3 does not.
No matter how hard the shot to center field was, McClelland should have stopped, watched the touch by F8, and quickly turned his head to see Swisher's feet. Had he done that, he would have been able to judge that Swisher did not leave early. Instead he was running in, only watching the play in the outfield, and never once looked at Swisher's position on the base. If he were not 100% sure in his HEAD, not his heart, that Swisher took off too soon, then the call should have been the default, which is that he did not leave too soon.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
This guy could have lined that catch up in time ... if he showed effort and interest:

I told you not to post those photos you took of me!
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
First off, I'm not sold on all these video cameras Fox is using.

Second, Tim needed a couple more steps to get into a great position to see the tag. Was he wrong? Maybe, but see the post above.

Third, on the play at 3B, IMO two bad things happened.

A. he got straightlined by Posada when he steeped off 3B. There was little chance he could see the 2nd tag from where he was. Should he have moved further? Maybe, but at least he had the guts to call what he saw and assumed something happened that he didn't see.

B. The problem with his call on the whole play may be something all of us can learn from. Since I am not God, I cannot go into Tim's mind to find out what he was thinking. But I would almost be willing to bet that he assumed a certain normal call he has called hundreds of time was going on. Instead, there was a call that happens, what, once in a career?
Tim McClelland is a professional baseball umpire which means it's HIS Job to get into position. Unlike us amateurs which work 2 man, in the PROS they have 4 (6 for playoffs)

I realize he was your instructor but the point is IT's his job and he gets paid well to get into the proper position as for the most part the ONLY base he has to worry about is third.

The problem which has been stated is MLB and some kind of rating system for the umpiring crew.

Last year Ed Hocule blew a call BIG TIME and the NFL downgraded him. Cuzzi / McClelland after those 2 horrible calls should have been replaced PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

This is not "kiddie ball", High level HS varsity, or even Division I college ball. This is the PROS where umpires make a GOOD living. Also, for the most part they are there for life which is a joke.

Give some young / middle aged individual who has been working their butts off at the minor league level a chance. Also, these are not the FIRST blunders that Cuzzi / McLelland have been involved with.

I agree with Kevin. The calls at that level are inexcusable and it's time for MLB to get involved and have a rating system in place. When you make calls as bad as Cuzzi / McLelland at the highest level then you should be removed.

FWIW that is what happens at the amateur level. When you get your shot at say a high level HS regional / State VS game and made a call like the one's Cuzzi / McLelland did it's back to doing modified.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I told you not to post those photos you took of me!
Wow, that weight loss program of yours must have worked great!
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Wow, that weight loss program of yours must have worked great!
Yeah, but look how it aged me!!!
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Ditch the cane and you'll peel years off from one moment to the next.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Last year Ed Hocule blew a call BIG TIME and the NFL downgraded him. Cuzzi / McClelland after those 2 horrible calls should have been replaced PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
First off...how do you manage to mess up the quoting system every time you make a post? I mean seriously...you press the quote link and type below it. That's it. Why does every one of your posts have multiple quote tags?

The NFL did not replace him. They just mark it down as a missed call. They did not take away any of his games. Why would MLB remove these guys in the middle of a series?
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Hey!!! I worked with that guy in 2004. FYI, he never once pivoted into the infield on hits. And JK, maybe Tim should stop making calls with his "heart" and go back to using his mechanics and eyes. Just a thought.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Hey!!! I worked with that guy in 2004. FYI, he never once pivoted into the infield on hits. And JK, maybe Tim should stop making calls with his "heart" and go back to using his mechanics and eyes. Just a thought.
RP,

I don't disagree with you, he messed up big time. I stated why I think he did, but no matter what the reasons, he has to accept the consequences for his actions, just like we have to accept ours in our levels of umpiring.

But, as I was listening the the ALCS after my last game of the season , to hear the drones babble on about how good replay is was absurd. Camera angles do lie, and no camera system is ever going to be perfect. They have enough trouble in the NFL with it, and you can set cameras up on every line
you want, including the LOS every play.

Trained human eyes are still the best eyes to see things in sports with, until the owner of the trained eyes turns his brain off for whatever reason.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 05:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Why would MLB remove these guys in the middle of a series?
As a disciplinary move for poor performance......and NOT for just one blown call.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Piss poor per-for-mance
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Ditch the cane and you'll peel years off from one moment to the next.

He'll look younger but he'll lean to the right and walk in circles.