The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   verbal obstruction (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/5509-verbal-obstruction.html)

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 31, 2002 05:58am

Thanks Freix, you saved me a lot of time.

You see Whowefoolin, we have to call FED games the way that the rules state. We don't care what the fans think, the players need consistancy. I can understand why in some of these interstate tournaments using FED, some of the coaches and players become confused when they come to my state. We call the FED rules no matter weather we disagree with them or not and our games average 1 to 2 hours!

I've called verbal obstruction twice that I can remember. the runner's should have known their coach's voice but they screwed up and the FED rules protect them if they are 13 or 18 years old. As a matter of fact if I do a game with older players, I inform them at the ground rules that if they really want to play by FED, they get all of it or none at all!

ccbestul Wed Jul 31, 2002 08:57am

Verbal Obstruction

It's amazing how a game can deteriorate into long drawn-out, get-even, trash talking mess by letting deception plays go unincumbered. Kids will attempt to get even, coaches may encourage, parents will be on your case.
ex: During a legion game: It started when F6 of the visiting team stepped into the baseline attemping a double play, 2nd to 1st. R1 slides hard into 2nd and took him out. A good hard play and hopefully a learning experience for F6. Visiting coach was wild. Wanted the kid EJ'd out for Unsportsman like. Later, F6 is now batter, hits ball and is racing to first, Throw causes F3 to step toward home. B1 stays right down the middle and flares elbows a little. Plain as day for me but nobody else could see it. Looks like legit. train wreck. I went to the coach and asked him to remove him if he wants to play that way. Coach blew up again on me. My comment: "Coach, take care of it or I will." The game went on with no further hitches. Umps are paid to control the game.

PeteBooth Wed Jul 31, 2002 09:21am

Re: Verbal Obstruction

<i> Originally posted by ccbestul </i>

<b> Umps are paid to control the game. </b>

I agree but we are not paid <b> to be part of the game </b> whihc unfortunately we have to become because players / coaches do not.

There's an ole adage <b> Don't fool around with Mother Nature </b> which is what amateur athletics did by creating all these safety caveats. If you think the rulemakers put these safety rules in for the kids think again it's about insurance isssues and people sue happy.

When I played we played <i> like the BIG BOYS </i> and you know what it was a better game for all invovled. Blue didn't have to <i> police </i> the game the way we have to today. Back then the game took care of itself.

Did we have our share of scraps or 2 Sure but Nothing and I mean Nothing like today.

Example; B1's job is to run through the bag and the throw from say F6 pulls F3 off the bag and both B1 and F3 collide perfectly legal except:

B1 / F3 get up and the glaring match starts over a perfectly legal play. Each doing what they are supposed to: B1 running hard trying to beat out an infield hit and F3 fielding his position.

What does all this mean - The rule-makers especially FED are doing their best to put in rules to avoid the unsportsmanlike acts.

Let's take this thread and one of the opposing players yelled GET BACK! and caused one of our runners to retreat unnecssarily and as a result was thrown out in trying to advance because he lost a good 5-6 steps by diving back to first base. Ok let the out stand.

Now the player who caused our runner to be thrown out comes to bat - guess what Some nice <i> Chin Music </i> and the Game took care of itself. Today if F1 throws chin music get ready for armagedon.

Unfortunately people want baseball to be contact free and while not like football, hockey or basketball, baseball played <b> THE RIGHT WAY </b> is not free of contact.

Officials are declining in numbers because even with the FEE structure it just isn't worth it. Umpiring should be fun but when a simple play turns into armagedon it isn't fun anymore. I feel like telling some of these teams "hey guys if you want to go at one another there's a Golden Gloves tournament coming up why don't you sign up"

I think the main reason for the change in attitides is the Coaches / parents because even though times have changed kids are kids however, they take <i> their lead </i> from the coaches / parents

If you could take away the coaches and the Fans and simply play REAL baseball one would see the difference.

Pete Booth

ccbestul Wed Jul 31, 2002 09:42am

Verbal Obstruction

I don't disagree with PeteBooth. I would say that 90% of all games are played by baseball players. Unfortunatly, coaches are expected to win not play baseball. Most high school age kids don't have the control to throw chin music, they don't know how to play 1st base properly, they cannot turn a proper double play. In my day the coached yelled at me if I did not slide correctly, set-up properly for throws, or take the extra base on a mental error. Some of these kids are taught intimidation and get-away-with plays. Thats why we have become the controllers of the game. Is it right? This day and age, thats a mute point.

Whowefoolin Wed Jul 31, 2002 05:17pm

Sounds like the infield fly rule would apply here. So the verbal obstruction overrules an infield fly rule? Wow, didn't know. Fed is a different animal then. I have done some Fed before and don't remember that ruling. But I am sure it is in there.

I just can't see it though. Let's say the kid at second truely does say he has it, drops the ball because of wind/sun/bad glove and then picks it up and doubles every one up. Who is going to judge that the kid didn't do it on purpose or he did? Tough call.

What happens if a pop-up happens and you have pitcher/short/Second all converging on it yelling they have it. Then at the last minute, they all let it drop (as we see so many times) thinking the other has it. But they pick it up quick enough to double up runners. You calling batter runner out and awarding bases because of this rule?

Good Luck. I will keep out of Fed for a while.