The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Tigers v Twins: Possible HBP

Did anyone see the play involving Inge? What do you think?
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin View Post
Did anyone see the play involving Inge? What do you think?
The ball hit is shirt. The PU missed it. Life goes on.

Tigers LF turns a single into a triple - which probably allows the tying run to score later.

He then "redeems" himself by throwing out the potential winning run - but only because the dumb-*** on 3B didn't tag up and wait for the catch.

Then Twins LF throws to the wrong base, setting up a big mess for his pitcher.

Leyland and Gardy were trying real hard to not throw up in their dugouts.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:30am
Archaic Power Monger

It was a HBP but as Rich said, it was missed. It may have been a philosophy call, I don't know. It didn't cost Detroit the game though. Tough noogies.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Usually at most levels you can hear the ball hitting cloth. In this situation, I bet he could not hear at all. It looks like it was missed, but hard to tell based on all the factors.

Life goes on.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question for the umps though on this-

Marsh said it was inconclusive. If he thought Mauer's glove brushed Inge's shirt would there have been some sort of interference call?

I don't know the rules on that.

Great game though. Lots of miscue's on both sides.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Unless something is just outragiously obvious by the catcher, interference by the catcher usaually pertains the catcher interferring with the batters swing. If he made contact with the batters body while catching an inside pitch, unless it somehow affected the batters swing than there is nothing.

Also contact is not necessary for there to be interference.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I was out at an establishment watching the game, boy were some Twins fans all over Marsh.

I thought great job by crew. U1 had 3 bangers all of an odd variety. A tag play from F1 at the base on a bunt, as close as could be, the DP in the 8th, and a tag play on a bad throw in the 9th. And the play at the plate, on replay, boy that was a lot closer than it originally looked.

Its funny that after 163 games, they still needed extras. And every single play was so close to going the other way. The game wasn't perfectly played, but boy are those two teams even as can be.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

As others have said here, the ball did brush his shirt. Marsh missed it but I have missed plenty of calls like that in my career (a lot more than Marsh). I didn't think it was a huge deal. However, that was a great game to watch. A lot of back and forth and drama. Couldn't ask for a better one game playoff.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

One other note

It was also great that Randy Marsh (my lead field instructor when I went to Harry's in the stone age) told the Tigers manager that it was his call, and made it clear with his gesture to all on TV he made the call and was not going anywhere else. If only we had more of that these days; it's my call, period.

That is also a tough call too, since the uniform is so loose on Inge it is hard to see it hit him in real time. Just like the old shoe polish check for balls hitting the BR in the foot, if Inge had his uniform looking neat and tucked in right, there would be no question Marsh would have seen it the other way.

The play in the 10th at home was a real wacker, and a great call.

Does anyone remember a game as important as this with more playing mistakes in it? Maybe the 1982 WS? No wonder managers are so irritable these days.

Last edited by jkumpire; Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 10:49pm. Reason: Trying to stay away from Grammar Police
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
jkumpire:

I talked with an instructor of a clinic that I attended last month and he told me the same thing you mentioned about Marsh's response to Leyland. He told me that he would have not honored the request either because he told me that if your partners saw something they would have killed the play.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
I thought great job by crew. U1 had 3 bangers all of an odd variety. A tag play from F1 at the base on a bunt, as close as could be, the DP in the 8th, and a tag play on a bad throw in the 9th. And the play at the plate, on replay, boy that was a lot closer than it originally looked.
I saw the replay of the U1 call on that bunt and could not believe what a great call that was. Just outstanding positioning (it seemed to this untrained eye) as well as judgement. It took me three slow-mo replays to finally see that he got it right and he did real-time. Fantastic.

I was also impressed (depressed?) by the long leash Randy Marsh gave Cabrera on a called strike late in the game. Grumbling about a call under your breath is one thing but Cabrera turned around and addressed Marsh directly and I thought for certain he would get himself ejected.