The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone else catch the game Sunday? Chone Figgens on first, grounder to 2nd. The ball, Figgens, and the Twins F4 all arrive at just about the same time, a few feet short of second base.
Figgens leaps over the grounder, and F4, in one motion, fields the ball, ATTEMPTS a swipe tag of Figgens as he passes by with the ball in throwing hand, and throws on to first for a double play.
Scoscia comes out to discuss with Phil Cuzzi the 2nd base umpire, who, had a terrible angle on the play.
Scoscia has turned out to be one of the best in dealing with umpires. Hes even had calls overturned a few times in the past. He doesnt rant and rave, he just wants Cuzzi to get some help.
Cuzzi refuses, and so, Scoscia starts walking over to the first base umpire, which gets him tossed.
Replays CLEARLY showed F4 missed the tag attempt.
I know its the Big Dawgs, but isnt this a case for getting help? Mostly if something like this happens at our level?
If that happens to us, were going on F4 selling it to us, more so than if we saw a tag. There never was a tag, so Cuzzi cant say that he saw one. Just a case of.."Its my call, and thats the way it is."???

Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
Replays CLEARLY showed F4 missed the tag attempt.
Did it? I thought so too when I saw the replay from the backstop camera, but then I saw a frame-by-frame replay on Sports Center from the center field cam. As the fielder's swiped past the runner, the runners jersey moved funny right where the tag was applied. Either the tag caught shirt or the shirt sucked itself toward the body to avoid the tag.

If it was the later, I want some shirts like that.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I agree. It was far from obvious whether or not Figgins got tagged. Heck, if he hadn't stopped, he would have made second easily. He could have ran in front of the ball with plenty of time to spare. As for Scioscia getting tossed by Cuzzi, I would have done the exact same thing. To me, Scioscia can ask Cuzzi for help, but if Cuzzi refuses, that's it for Scioscia. You go to the 1st base ump anyways, you deserve to get tossed.