The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

this is a classic HTBT play.. if the umpire judged the batter threw it down with intent to hit the bat, then he is out... but if not intentional, batter runner is safe until he is put out.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7 applies to a batter.

Rule 8 applies to a batter-runner.

Since this play involved a batter-runner, any rule or ruling you want to hang your hat on should come from section 8 of the rule book.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
How do you figure that the "discarded" (i.e., THROWN, as I've never seen a batter gently lay his bat down to "discard" it, and I can safely ascertain that the OP meant "thrown") bat didn't hinder the catcher? It knocked the ball a couple of feet farther away from the catcher, who then had to rush his throw as a result. Perhaps there needs to be intent, but from subsequent info provided, it appears that this coach has his players intentionally interfere on a regular basis, so there's a good possibility that the hindrance of the catcher was intentional.
You read between the lines too much. Discarded does not mean thrown. The op did not say catcher had a problem or rushed his throw. Subsequent info was not in evidence for the original op, or the ump who had to rule. PU must rule on what he saw, not what he found out later. If he saw it as intentional then INT. If the discard contact was not intentional in his view, then no INT. If you do not factor intent you penalize offense for defensive mistake, remember wild pitch.

I have seen a lot of discarded bats after a 3rd strike swing at a pitch in the dirt that were not thrown at a loose wild pitch.

Last edited by DG; Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:27pm.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
You read between the lines too much. Discarded does not mean thrown. The op did not say catcher had a problem or rushed his throw. Subsequent info was not in evidence for the original op, or the ump who had to rule. PU must rule on what he saw, not what he found out later. If he saw it as intentional then INT. If the discard contact was not intentional in his view, then no INT. If you do not factor intent you penalize offense for defensive mistake, remember wild pitch.

I have seen a lot of discarded bats after a 3rd strike swing at a pitch in the dirt that were not thrown at a loose wild pitch.
There is a strong probability that it was intentional. Even though the evidence was not in place in the OP, the coach was notorious for teaching his batters to intentionally interfere. That's what I was basing it on. If the PU judges the intent, then it would be INT. Let's put it this way: Had I been the umpire, and thought for one second that the batter-runner interfered intentionally, I would have called INT.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
There is a strong probability that it was intentional. Even though the evidence was not in place in the OP, the coach was notorious for teaching his batters to intentionally interfere. That's what I was basing it on. If the PU judges the intent, then it would be INT. Let's put it this way: Had I been the umpire, and thought for one second that the batter-runner interfered intentionally, I would have called INT.
I would have also, if for one second thought it was intentional. But the Op gave no indication.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

You mean you missed two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
After the inning the coach of the batting team told me that he teaches his players to casually drop the bat in the direction of the ball. He said that the bat often either hits the ball or hinders the F2 and that they never get called for interference.

Later in the same game, the same batter hit a ball down the left field line. I was tracking the ball, but found out later (from an evaluator in the stands) that the batter flung his bat toward the catcher as he left for first base. The catcher seemed to be a little shook up, but nobody ever brought it to my attention. The evaluator said it was obvious to him that it was intentional, but that I was doing the correct thing by looking at the ball as it went into left field.
Classic. Coach teaching kids to drop the bat behind the plate. I would have immediate interference with the catcher, but I have never seen that done before.

I'm not too sure if you're either that quick to step out from behind the plate like that or too deaf/blind not to hear/see a bat strike the catcher. I would not want to miss that call.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

After Four Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highest Quality View Post
Oh my, I have hundreds of times.
Did the batter bend over to remove his lower leg guard?
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Oops, Two Bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
this is a classic HTBT play.. if the umpire judged the batter threw it down with intent to hit the bat, then he is out... but if not intentional, batter runner is safe until he is put out.
Impossible!

Last edited by SAump; Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:00pm.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The batter drops bat and the ball rolls into it, I have nothing. The batter throws the bat and hits the ball, in flight or on the ground, I have interference.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Which specific batter? You are kidding right?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.