The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Pitching vs Lead-Off

This has I am sure been answered before if not 100 times. If someone has the location of the thread I'll be happy to go back in the archives if possible. New to baseball. Softball has been my passion. Started helping with son's 10 and under baseball team. What is the rule as to when a runner MUST return to the base or advance as far as the position of the pitcher is concerned. First week. Bush League. Oppsong team started and continued the "chicken game" of daring to have the pitcher throw to a base. What is the answer short of what 9 and 10 year olds should not be taught. :-)
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 12:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
This has I am sure been answered before if not 100 times. If someone has the location of the thread I'll be happy to go back in the archives if possible. New to baseball. Softball has been my passion. Started helping with son's 10 and under baseball team. What is the rule as to when a runner MUST return to the base or advance as far as the position of the pitcher is concerned. First week. Bush League. Oppsong team started and continued the "chicken game" of daring to have the pitcher throw to a base. What is the answer short of what 9 and 10 year olds should not be taught. :-)
Once the pitcher is on the rubber and ready to pitch and the catcher is in his position ready to catch, the runner must be on his base. Up until then, the runner can bluff and fake and try to draw a throw. Throw the ball and make him dive back. Don't be skeered.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

What SDS said, but the P being ready and the C with gear on and in C "triangle" is a go/no-go for BR's, not "have to be on base". Go/No-go means the runner must make a move one way or the other and cannot switch directions again unless P/C come out of their required readiness.

Coaches seem to think the P/C meeting the ready requirements is a stop button when all it is is a decision button...
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Is this true Little League baseball? Because I know pretty much all of the youth leagues around here use either USSSA or Modifed OBR. These allow leadoffs, therefore the runner never has to return or commit to the next base. If you are in a league that uses LL rules, then yes the runners would have to return.