The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wpiced
Bob, in the original example/question, F9 fielded the ball and threw to F4, and in fact threw BR out. That is a "type A" obstruction. It still looks to me like F3 obstructed BR and the play at 2B put him out.
In your original post, you said, "A collosion (sic) occurs between R1 and F3 in the baseline about 2 feet from first base. F9 picks up the ball and easliy (sic) throws R1 out at second."

I took that to mean that the obstruction occurred prior to F9 picking up the ball, and prior to the throw.

That makes it type B obstruction.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

F3 has shot at making a play, we have interference.

But something doesn't ring true about this play. R1 isn't leading off? you say the collision happened 2 feet from the bag? come on! This didn't really happen now did it??
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Runner on First and Third. F3 is playing about a foot in front of the bag. The batter runner hits a blooper to short right field. A collosion occurs between R1 and F3 in the baseline about 2 feet from first base. F9 picks up the ball and easliy throws R1 out at second. The offense of coach is arguing for an obstruction by F3. I decide to confer with the home plate umpire because of his complaint. We subsequently decided to change my "no call" to obstruction because at the time we felt that it was obstruction.

I understand the leaning toward obstruction on this play but in trying to visualize this play over and over, I keep coming up with a collision.

You stated that F3 is "playing about a foot in front of the bag". Now the play commences and F3 is moving into his position to the bag. What bothers me is that R1 is not even out to his secondary lead if contact is occuring "2 feet from first base". This leads me to believe that R1 was not "in the game" at the time.

I can see where the coach and everyone there was looking for a call but I disagree with an obstruction call here. From your text, R1's lack of a secondary lead really caused the problem. I have to say that both F3 & R1 are where they are supposed to be at the time of contact.

"Simple collision folks. Coach thanks for your observation but that's the way I see it. Runner is out, please get back in the coach's box and we'll get on with the game."
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Ozzy, your explanation calls for interference not obstruction. F3 is making a play on the ball when he collides with R1 who "isn't in the game" That's interference. Bang him.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Ozzy, your explanation calls for interference not obstruction. F3 is making a play on the ball when he collides with R1 who "isn't in the game" That's interference. Bang him.
The origional quote does not have F3 receiving or in the process of receiving the ball. That is why I made no reference to interference.

Here is the origional situation.
Quote:
Runner on First and Third. F3 is playing about a foot in front of the bag. The batter runner hits a blooper to short right field. A collosion occurs between R1 and F3 in the baseline about 2 feet from first base. F9 picks up the ball and easliy throws R1 out at second. The offense of coach is arguing for an obstruction by F3.
Boone, unless you were at this game and saw this play, I do not see how you can even think of interference from the origional situation. Again I remind you that R1 obviously never took a secondary lead off the bag! That is the only way (referring to the situation given) that R1 & F3 could collide within 2 feet of the bag!

Why is it when contact occurs, everyone wants to be the hero and make a call? Sometimes, there is no call to make.

Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Oz, it was a short blooper and the orginal poster later qualified his story that the F3 was making a play. You see, i read all the posts not just the first one!

R1 sounds like an idiot. We need to get an out on him!
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Oz, it was a short blooper and the orginal poster later qualified his story that the F3 was making a play. You see, i read all the posts not just the first one!

You're right, Boone. I get weary reading on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on.

(I think that I made my point).

It would be nice to get all of the facts in one post