View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Runner on First and Third. F3 is playing about a foot in front of the bag. The batter runner hits a blooper to short right field. A collosion occurs between R1 and F3 in the baseline about 2 feet from first base. F9 picks up the ball and easliy throws R1 out at second. The offense of coach is arguing for an obstruction by F3. I decide to confer with the home plate umpire because of his complaint. We subsequently decided to change my "no call" to obstruction because at the time we felt that it was obstruction.

I understand the leaning toward obstruction on this play but in trying to visualize this play over and over, I keep coming up with a collision.

You stated that F3 is "playing about a foot in front of the bag". Now the play commences and F3 is moving into his position to the bag. What bothers me is that R1 is not even out to his secondary lead if contact is occuring "2 feet from first base". This leads me to believe that R1 was not "in the game" at the time.

I can see where the coach and everyone there was looking for a call but I disagree with an obstruction call here. From your text, R1's lack of a secondary lead really caused the problem. I have to say that both F3 & R1 are where they are supposed to be at the time of contact.

"Simple collision folks. Coach thanks for your observation but that's the way I see it. Runner is out, please get back in the coach's box and we'll get on with the game."