The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Watch this LL Umpire (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54312-watch-ll-umpire.html)

kylejt Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 621028)
But, I'm starting to think maybe the uniforms were supplied. Why else would the New England and Mid Atlantic umpires have shirts that only softball uses where I call.

Okay, let me correct myself. You get hats and shirt (and jackets at WR) for regionals. But BYOP. (and one's that fit, for God's sake. I mean, your Mom is watching)

umpjim Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09pm

So the NE and Mid Atlantic regional ump shirts were supplied by LL. Thanks. Probably a screw up. (Thats how I ended up with one). Anyway, they match.

SethPDX Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 621038)
So the NE and Mid Atlantic regional ump shirts were supplied by LL. Thanks. Probably a screw up. (Thats how I ended up with one). Anyway, they match.

The league hosting the Regional is responsible for supplying shirts and hats to the umpires, so you get whatever color and brand the tournament director/UIC decided on.

Fittske Tue Aug 18, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 621068)
The league hosting the Regional is responsible for supplying shirts and hats to the umpires, so you get whatever color and brand the tournament director/UIC decided on.

This is usually true at the local and state level, but for regionals, there is usually an "umpiring coordinator" that sits on the regional umpiring staff that orders regional shirts for the pre-selected umpires. Each umpire is contacted for their shirt and hit size, and uniform number (for regions that use them) It is up to the umpire to select the correct size. As far as uniform color, this is totally up to the regions. Most regions usually run there regional softball tournament one week prior to the little league tournament, so what happens is the umpire shirts for both tournaments are ordered together and a lot of times they end up being all softball colors. Here in the southern region there are some pretty good umpires that sit on staff. Most do high school and college ball so they usually do a good job at keeping the softball colors away from the southern regional tournaments.

SethPDX Wed Aug 19, 2009 04:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fittske (Post 621095)
This is usually true at the local and state level, but for regionals, there is usually an "umpiring coordinator" that sits on the regional umpiring staff that orders regional shirts for the pre-selected umpires. Each umpire is contacted for their shirt and hit size, and uniform number (for regions that use them) It is up to the umpire to select the correct size. As far as uniform color, this is totally up to the regions. Most regions usually run there regional softball tournament one week prior to the little league tournament, so what happens is the umpire shirts for both tournaments are ordered together and a lot of times they end up being all softball colors. Here in the southern region there are some pretty good umpires that sit on staff. Most do high school and college ball so they usually do a good job at keeping the softball colors away from the southern regional tournaments.

In the West where I am I was contacted directly by the tournament director in Missoula for the Regional I worked to get my shirt size. He ordered our shirts and hats. From talking to other umpires I know who have gone to Regionals I have the impression that out here, each tournament director/UIC decides separately what the umpires are wearing. This is at least how I think it is in the Western Region.

The LL Baseball Regionals (the level that gets on ESPN) in San Bernardino have been using black and cream shirts for a while now.

griff901c Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 620922)
They are all volunteers. If you're from the West Region, you sign a paper that states you haven't taken $ for LL games that year.

But you CAN recieve vouchers ie. gift cards all season long. Same as cash without the stigma of "paid umpires". Hokeypork....

kylejt Wed Aug 19, 2009 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 621284)
But you CAN recieve vouchers ie. gift cards all season long. Same as cash without the stigma of "paid umpires". Hokeypork....

Agreed. But it's a simple way for them to filter out umpires out of a HUGE pool here in SoCal. Everybody takes something.

griff901c Wed Aug 19, 2009 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 621347)
Agreed. But it's a simple way for them to filter out umpires out of a HUGE pool here in SoCal. Everybody takes something.

Are you saying all your post season umpires didn't get anything during the season?

SethPDX Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 621362)
Are you saying all your post season umpires didn't get anything during the season?

Speaking for myself I know all I got for my LL games this season, and every other, was post-game meal at the snack shack. I am very confident that's all any of the umpires in my district are given for LL games. Note that there is nothing against being paid for non-LL games such as Fed or college.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 621384)
Speaking for myself I know all I got for my LL games this season, and every other, was post-game meal at the snack shack. I am very confident that's all any of the umpires in my district are given for LL games. Note that there is nothing against being paid for non-LL games such as Fed or college.

There's also nothing wrong with taking game fees for working Little LeagueŽ, when those leagues are contracting with associations. I've worked about 500 Little LeagueŽ games, mixed in with all the other games, and I've gotten paid for every single one. There is a huge shortage of LL district umpires out here, and most leagues contract out the games.

kylejt Thu Aug 20, 2009 01:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 621362)

The ones over 18 didn't get cash (which is just as good as money) during the regular season. Junior umpires are paid in my area, but they're still eligible for post season work as volunteers. I had one of my 14 year olds work through Division this year.