The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Gammons: Go back to the NY-Penn League

Did anyone else hear Peter Gammons spout off and say that the umpire who dumped Terry Francona should go back to the NY-Penn League. Apparently Gammons was peaved that the umpire gave a shoulder shake after he dumped him.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:19pm
M.A.S.H.

You've got to remember that Gammons is a fan boy as he's a season ticket holder at Boston.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

When was this ejection? Video?

Gammons is a tool.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Game was last night, the fight affair, the ejection happened in the bottom of the second.

Detroit vs. Boston - August 11, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

Video is in the wrap: Francona is ejected arguing close play.

The shoulder shrug was innocent, the camera just got it and Gammons wanted to be a prick and take a shot on national tv at a younger umpire. Ballsy move Peter.

My best guess, Barry was readjusting the feel of his shirt and what not after the ej mechanic.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

just my .02

I saw it this morning on the highlights...............seemed pretty innocent at the time......in no way did I take any negative from it.....

Gammons is being overly sensitive....
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Gammons is having more trouble than anyone should have accepting that he's no longer a real journalist.

And can somebody keep me posted if one of those proposed trades he always blathers about ever gets made?
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Did anyone else hear Peter Gammons spout off and say that the umpire who dumped Terry Francona should go back to the NY-Penn League. Apparently Gammons was peaved that the umpire gave a shoulder shake after he dumped him.
Gammons is a moron. And the call was right (and a tough one to make, too).
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I just watched the melee.

The crew cheif(Crawford) was at 1B and the 4 umpires huddled around leyland for what seemed like an eternity. Crawford ended it with "That's what I'm gonna have to do." and it looked like he was the one deciding to dump the Tigers pitcher.

Has anyone else ever seen a pitcher dumped like this not by the PU? Maybe I have missed it over the years but, usually, the PU dumps him right away, right?
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I found it a bit odd that before Francona got dumbed by the U2, Crawford was already there interjecting. While watching the events it looked like Crawford didn't think the U2 could handle it by himself (Please note I don't know anything about U2, I'm not really up-to-date in my umpire trivia (aka jock sniffing) )

-Josh
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
Game was last night, the fight affair, the ejection happened in the bottom of the second.

Detroit vs. Boston - August 11, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

Video is in the wrap: Francona is ejected arguing close play.

The shoulder shrug was innocent, the camera just got it and Gammons wanted to be a prick and take a shot on national tv at a younger umpire. Ballsy move Peter.

My best guess, Barry was readjusting the feel of his shirt and what not after the ej mechanic.
Thanks. I ended up seeing it about 12 times either online or on ESPN after I posted that last night. Very tough call, but it looks like he got it right. (And the umpire ejection fantasy league website said so too )
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 01:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Gammons is a moron. And the call was right (and a tough one to make, too).
I agree with the first sentence. He is a moron, no question. And a hack, and a joke.

I disagree with the second one. The first time I saw the play in full speed (on the video, as I didn't see it live) he clearly looked safe. The foot got in before the swipe tag was applied. I then looked at the replay at least 20 more times, stopping and starting the video to see if anything had changed, and it had not. It looks as if the foot hits the base, then the glove hit the runners leg, in that order. Still a tough call either way, but I have him safe. Maybe the quality of the video isn't good enough to tell conclusively.

Francona did deserve to be ejected, as he clearly said something nasty to the umpire.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Thanks. I ended up seeing it about 12 times either online or on ESPN after I posted that last night. Very tough call, but it looks like he got it right. (And the umpire ejection fantasy league website said so too )
I wouldn't have a problem with the Sox going 0-162 but I thought he was safe. It looked to me like he hit the base and was starting to pop up before the tag.

I wonder what Francona said because it was after he'd turned his back and started to walk away.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, he got dumped because he dropped a bag of crap as he walked away. However, he actually did look surprised that he was dumped. Maybe the 2B umpire's magic word list is different than Crawford's. Now Terry knows, eh?

His response to the ejection was really funny. Crawford is trying to get in between and terry is yelling. NO NO NO....he wanted the young un to spalin himself.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Shoulder Shrug

I happen to know Scott Barry - not real well but enough to say that that shoulder shrug meant absolutely nothing . Scott is not that type of guy - he just doesn't roll like way. If that was a full time umpire, Francona doesn't even come out to discuss a play like that. He probably wanted to test the "fill in" and went out and I guess Scott didn't give him the answer he wanted to hear. The conversation was going a little long so Crawford came in as a "**** deflector" to take the focus off Barry. I'm assuming Francona said the magic words (just as he was turning to walk away - GUTLESS) and put Barry in a tough spot. Do you ignore the comment(s) (which his crew chief heard as well) and let him walk away or do you run him so that Francona knows next time he's not going to get away with the cheap shot. Barry took a stand and while it may not have looked good to eject someone as they're walking away, I'm sure Crawford probably said after the game "I would have thought less of you if you DIDN'T throw him out". And Gammons made a poor choice by incorrectly interpreting a gesture and then "big leaguing" him with that cheap shot "go back to little league sh!t (that's original Gammons - never heard that before). The old man may know baseball... but doesn't know jack crap about officiating. Just my thoughts
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 10:35pm

Francona's take on the ejection...

...from Boston.com:

On why he was ejected by umpire Scott Barry in the second inning last night:

Francona: “I went out and was arguing a lot of what happened in the first inning. I thought there was an obstruction play [when a runner slid into second in the first inning]. The rules say you have to make an attempt to touch second. There was no attempt. I know how I feel. And Scott’s explanation I didn't think was very good, and I was looking for a reason to go back out and tell him that, and I did. So I knew I was going to get ejected. I got to a point where I thought, 'OK, he didn’t throw me out,' so I said, ‘Cool, I’ll hang around.’ Right as I’m starting to leave, he ejects me . . . I deserved to be thrown out.”

...the full article can be found at this link