The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

All-Star Game - DeMuth

OK, two very interesting things I observed in the first inning:

1) Is the 20-second timeout mechanic being taught in pro-school? That's exactly the first signal made after Jeter was hit on the hands. (On a side note, at least McCarver didn't say the hands were a part of the bat ).

2) Since he's miked for sound, DeMuth is distinctly giving the location of many of the ball calls (I know I've heard "outside" and "ball down"). Any defenders out there for this...seems like little league to me!
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Is he trying to immitate Durwood Merrill with that set up, he wasnt doin that before lol... Timmons appeared to call a foul ball for the National leaguers in the 2nd instead he called for a dead ball because it jumped into the stands, way too confusing for Buck and McCarver
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post

1) Is the 20-second timeout mechanic being taught in pro-school? That's exactly the first signal made after Jeter was hit on the hands. (On a side note, at least McCarver didn't say the hands were a part of the bat ).
I WAS WAITING!
Quote:
2) Since he's miked for sound, DeMuth is distinctly giving the location of many of the ball calls (I know I've heard "outside" and "ball down"). Any defenders out there for this...seems like little league to me!
There's an NCAA guy around here who does that on every close pitch. I can't really stand it.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

McCarver: "[On that play] Utley had several things with which to cope."
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 09:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks19 View Post
Is he trying to immitate Durwood Merrill with that set up, he wasnt doin that before lol...
Yeah, looks like DeMuth has changed a lot of stuff, including hammering called strikes. He used to point in the opposite side of the batter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks19 View Post
Timmons appeared to call a foul ball for the National leaguers in the 2nd instead he called for a dead ball because it jumped into the stands, way too confusing for Buck and McCarver
Timmons could have been more clear, and mixed in a fair point before killing the ball, since that is the usual mechanic in this case. I mean, the ball was only a couple of feet fair, certainly worth a point I would think.

Yeah, he confused Buck, who said that two hands in the air usually means foul ball. Get a clue...what about Time and Ball out of Play? I'm wondering if he's adopted!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's a 30-second timeout now.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:21pm

Once again, the Senior Circuit has let me down. Thanks a lot Bell. Way to represent San Diego.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Since he's miked for sound, DeMuth is distinctly giving the location of many of the ball calls (I know I've heard "outside" and "ball down"). Any defenders out there for this...seems like little league to me!
It's fairly common in pro ball. Cuts way down on the chatter from the dugout & let's F1/F2 settle in to the PU's zone. Given the number of subs in a game like this it's an easy way to make things go smooth & easy.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1 View Post
It's fairly common in pro ball. Cuts way down on the chatter from the dugout & let's F1/F2 settle in to the PU's zone. Given the number of subs in a game like this it's an easy way to make things go smooth & easy.
Frankly, as I get older I find myself doing this occasionally. Hasn't been a problem yet. I try not to do it on every pitch or in a way where it sounds like I'm justifying a call.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Once again, the Senior Circuit has let me down. Thanks a lot Bell. Way to represent San Diego.
Seeing as they snatched him from the Beavers right after he made the PCL team for what would be an All-Star Game in his hometown, the least the Padres could do is give Mike Ekstrom a try.

I got my usual great seat at good old Civic Stadium for the AAA game tomorrow night. Can't wait.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Seeing as they snatched him from the Beavers right after he made the PCL team for what would be an All-Star Game in his hometown, the least the Padres could do is give Mike Ekstrom a try.

I got my usual great seat at good old Civic Stadium for the AAA game tomorrow night. Can't wait.
I can't find a TV listing for the game. Isn't on TV this year? I usually watch that one, and the AA game. The Futures game the other night was fun.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

I thought it was on one of the ESPN networks.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Frankly, as I get older I find myself doing this occasionally. Hasn't been a problem yet. I try not to do it on every pitch or in a way where it sounds like I'm justifying a call.
For me I will on the close ones early. For the most part an F2 with a clue figures things out quickly & goes with the flow. From that point he (F2) carries the message to F1 / bench "Bring it up a bit Joe", etc.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
ball location

Ball: most of the time (for inside or outside), I'll look in the direction the pitch was after F2 catches it. That's the only indicator I'll give unless the batter asks directly.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Heh, heh, heh! Sorry we got you again but hey maybe you will win next year! Bwaahahahahahah!

Take heart, SDS, I still hate the DH!