The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   3-man: Runner on 1st (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53951-3-man-runner-1st.html)

mick Mon Jul 13, 2009 08:52am

3-man: Runner on 1st

If a runner is on first base with any combination of other runners, what philosophy keeps U1 in Position A for the starting position? What's going to happen on 1B?

Thanks.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb people.

UmpJM Mon Jul 13, 2009 09:06am

mick,

Pick off attempt at 1B.

JM

GA Umpire Mon Jul 13, 2009 09:14am

You are in a far better position to call the pick off attempt. Runner isn't shielding with his slide of where his feet or hands are when tagged.

Also, in better position for the play at 1B on the batter such as a DP or whatever play happens there. Better position to see any swipe tags or pulled foot off the base.

To me, it is just a better position to see much more than being in B position.

mick Mon Jul 13, 2009 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 614275)
mick,

Pick off attempt at 1B.

JM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 614279)
You are in a far better position to call the pick off attempt. Runner isn't shielding with his slide of where his feet or hands are when tagged.

Also, in better position for the play at 1B on the batter such as a DP or whatever play happens there. Better position to see any swipe tags or pulled foot off the base.

To me, it is just a better position to see much more than being in B position.

I reckon a lot of people feel that way.
I understand the better view of a pick-off play at first, although I do not remember the last time I've seen that with R1 and R2 (and R3).

Seems like, with almost any play (hit-n-run, steal, pass ball) involving a runner going to 3B or 2b, by starting in Position A, U1 is effectively locked out, and an unnecessary burden is put on U3 (who has 2B and 3B) and PU who has 3B and Home), for want of a good view at a fanciful pick-off attempt at 1B.

Thanks.

PS EDIT to GA Umpire: Saturday night I had dinner on Lake Superior with friends from Marietta, GA. They were wearing coats.

UmpJM Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07am

mick,

Actually, the U1 is not "locked out". He will come into the infield on a clean base hit to the outfield and will have any play on the BR going into 2B or at 1B.

A is about the only position on the field where a BU can get a decent look at whether the F1's free foot crossed the back plane of the rubber and/or whether his step to 1B was "direct" (enough) on the pick-off to 1B.

I see pick-off attempts at 1B fairly often with R1 and R3.

JM

Ump153 Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 614290)
I understand the better view of a pick-off play at first, although I do not remember the last time I've seen that with R1 and R2 (and R3).

Seems like, with almost any play (hit-n-run, steal, pass ball) involving a runner going to 3B or 2b, by starting in Position A, U1 is effectively locked out, and an unnecessary burden is put on U3 (who has 2B and 3B) and PU who has 3B and Home), for want of a good view at a fanciful pick-off attempt at 1B.

Thanks.

And you would do what...put two umpires inside?

Don't forget, U1 has responsiblity for the B/R as well as R1. "A" is the perfect STARTING point.

GA Umpire Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:19am

Quote:

ps edit to ga umpire: Saturday night i had dinner on lake superior with friends from marietta, ga. They were wearing coats.

lol :D

johnnyg08 Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:23am

There is a 3 man mechanic in PBUC that in an "obvious" bunt situation w/ R1,R2 that you move 1BU into B and move 3BU into D. It's an optional mechanic though.

JR12 Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:29am

We use that in only this situation you described. It's also nice if they decide to double steal.

Ump153 Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 614306)
There is a 3 man mechanic in PBUC that in an "obvious" bunt situation w/ R1,R2 that you move 1BU into B and move 3BU into D. It's an optional mechanic though.

Yep. But you will note there is still just one umpire inside.

Rich Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:50am

Quote:

Thanks.

PS EDIT to GA Umpire: Saturday night I had dinner on Lake Superior with friends from Marietta, GA. They were wearing coats.

R1+R2 and bases loaded is a reverse rotation where U1 will take the BR to second base. You can come inside or you can take the BR to second from the outside (which in 4-man is the mechanic the ML umpires have been using on the slide).

So it's still one runner, one umpire for the most part, unless R2 stops at third.

With U1 in A you never have one umpire calling both halves of a DP and you also have an umpire in A for the pickoff and the whacker at first.

LDUB Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:10pm

Quote:

You don't want U1 having to do double play footwork and making both calls.

mick Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 614303)
And you would do what...put two umpires inside?

Don't forget, U1 has responsiblity for the B/R as well as R1. "A" is the perfect STARTING point.

No, I wouldn't have two umps inside. Too crowded. :)

I've just never clearly understood the need for U1 and R1 to be married at 1B.

Ump153 Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 614334)
No, I wouldn't have two umps inside. Too crowded. :)

I've just never clearly understood the need for U1 and R1 to be married at 1B.

If you still don't understand after this thread...well, stick with two man..

mick Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 614324)
You don't want U1 having to do double play footwork and making both calls.

We do it all the time working 2-Man, though, eh?