LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 01:24am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
ABSOLUTELY!

Was it a boy or a girl?
Wife had the baby before basebasll season 08 so I didn't work baseball that season.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

You cannot eject your parnter. There is no rule allowing it. The point of an umpiring crew is to act as collective unit. Now if you actually thought you could send your crew member home, the best way to do so would be to humiliate your partner into not wanting to stay at the game. How would you do this? Tell the coaches how weak he is, and diss your partner out loud so that everyone can hear you. Then pray that they choose to side with you rather than being angry at your lack of integrity. If all works out, your partner will be so humiliated that he will leave. But the chances of pulling this off are slim to none. Know your audience. If the teams are morally upstanding, they won't appreciate a partner who throws another one under the bus. If it backfires, you will be leaving the diamond. Be careful is my only warning.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Kids today. The whole culture's going to hel in a handbasket.
U r so rite!

ttyl
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
You cannot eject your parnter. There is no rule allowing it. The point of an umpiring crew is to act as collective unit. Now if you actually thought you could send your crew member home, the best way to do so would be to humiliate your partner into not wanting to stay at the game. How would you do this? Tell the coaches how weak he is, and diss your partner out loud so that everyone can hear you. Then pray that they choose to side with you rather than being angry at your lack of integrity. If all works out, your partner will be so humiliated that he will leave. But the chances of pulling this off are slim to none. Know your audience. If the teams are morally upstanding, they won't appreciate a partner who throws another one under the bus. If it backfires, you will be leaving the diamond. Be careful is my only warning.
For my 6000th post, I just want to say:

This ties for the dumbest thing ever posted on this board. It did not fail to meet expectations, though.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

This ties for the dumbest thing ever posted on this board. It did not fail to meet expectations, though.
Congrats on No. 6000. Just wish it could have been under better circumstances.

And you are correct.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I had a guy that wore his shin guards outside of his pants and his hat backwards. He was ready to go when I arrived. I told him that in this association, we wear our guards inside and hat forwards like real umpires are supposed to, and I wasn't going to work with him until he changed. He fixed the problem, and actually wasn't as bad as I thought he would be when I first saw him.
Steve,

Glad to read that you helped this guy out instead of letting the guy make an a$$ out of himself and talking about here. I owe a debt of gratitude to all those who helped me out along the way (although I never wore my shin guards outside and turned my hat backwards). Way to go on the weight loss.

Regards,
Matt
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:13am

Quote:

Congratulations on 6,000. I was going to say something similar about the post, but every time I say anything remotely negative about this individual, it gets deleted.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Congratulations on 6,000. I was going to say something similar about the post, but every time I say anything remotely negative about this individual, it gets deleted.
If it does, well, I will get 6000 later. Much later. I'm leaving for the Netherlands to umpire a tournament this afternoon.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:03pm

Quote:
If it does, well, I will get 6000 later. Much later. I'm leaving for the Netherlands to umpire a tournament this afternoon.
Be sure to pack your long underwear to keep your Nether regions warm!

Oh, and that one was 6,001, so it will be 6,000 either way!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have to admit...I was Kevin's partner in that game ....and he almost sent me home. I insisted that I stand in The Official's Locker Room while working the bases. I always see those sign flippers on the street corners advertising and I thought I could do a little advertising of my own. I guess kevin got offended. Sorry.....
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Care to say what you didn't like about it, rather than just making an attack?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? You don't listen to constructive criticism anyway.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Attack?

Mild criticism by an online poster of a trivial matter raised by another online poster is not an attack.

Attacks involve violence, or extreme aggression. How much has the language been toyed with that a comment about a post being dumb is labeled an attack? So the post was dumb. Big deal. You're probably both decent guys as I am, and Steve is. It's just that of the four of us, three of us thought the post was dumb. And I say that unaggressively and non-violently, so as not to have it simplistically labeled as an attack.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
I have to admit...I was Kevin's partner in that game ....and he almost sent me home. I insisted that I stand in The Official's Locker Room while working the bases. I always see those sign flippers on the street corners advertising and I thought I could do a little advertising of my own. I guess kevin got offended. Sorry.....
You know, Hickman, I was halfway okay with you waddling around out there in that contraption. And I was even okay with it when you fell on your a$$ those two times. And I was even okay with it when you were hanging out in there sipping "Gatorade" between innings with the shortstop's mom. But when you two disappeared in the Official's Locker Room and I had to work the bottom of the fifth inning alone, I'd had enough!

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 03:39pm.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I thought it was pretty good, ranks right up there with a few others.

Given the direction this thread is taking, I need to add: In before the lock!
Closed Thread