The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach&Blue
Can someone tell me the 9 ways to reach base? (Hint: a single, double, triple, and HR are all under the same thing - HIT)
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

OK - this shows up my ignorance quite quickly. I can only come up with 8 off hand: hit, error, walk, intentional walk (unless you count that the same as a walk), HBP, catcher's interference, obstruction, dropped 3rd strike. What am I missing?

Nick
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I have the opposite problem of Nick...I count 10. Hit; base on balls; strikeout -- 3rd strike not caught; catcher's interference; umpire's interference; obstruction; interference by a teammate; hit by pitch; error; fielder's choice.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Pinch Runner too.

Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Pinch running and fielder's choice are NOT reaching base. In PR, the player is replacing someone already on base. In an FC, the batter attains 1B because the defense opted to get another runner.

Bob
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

If a fielder's choice isn't "reaching base," then how do you explain the guy standing on first base? I'm not trying to be a wise apple, but if it isn't "reaching base," what is it? You could just as easily make the argument that, for example, acquiring 1B because of umpire's interference is not "reaching base" because the ball was declared dead before the BR reached the bag.

I guess I interpreted the question as "What are the 9(+) ways a batter can legally end up at 1B/2B/3B/home?" Comments? Any input from Coach&Blue?
Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wilson
If a fielder's choice isn't "reaching base," then how do you explain the guy standing on first base? I'm not trying to be a wise apple, but if it isn't "reaching base," what is it? You could just as easily make the argument that, for example, acquiring 1B because of umpire's interference is not "reaching base" because the ball was declared dead before the BR reached the bag.

I guess I interpreted the question as "What are the 9(+) ways a batter can legally end up at 1B/2B/3B/home?" Comments? Any input from Coach&Blue?
The "guy" is on 1B because the defense opted to get a leading runner. If not, they could have put "guy" out. Hit by a pitch is also a dead ball. That's legit.

Bob
Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wilson
If a fielder's choice isn't "reaching base," then how do you explain the guy standing on first base? I'm not trying to be a wise apple, but if it isn't "reaching base," what is it? (snip)
The way I think of it FC is not "reaching base" because you are essentially "trading" one base runner for another. No "additional" base runners are on.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2002, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach&Blue
I am not concerned with hits, errors, or anything like that. All I am concerned with is how a person can reach first base regardless of how they get there. 1. Hit 2. Walk 3. Hit by pitch 4. Error 5. Fielders Choice 6. Umpires Interference (not sure if it is ruled a hit or what. Don't know if its ruled differently) 7. Catchers Interference 8. Dropped 3rd Strike. I always thought there were 9 seperate ways to reach base (Guy end up standing on base or crossed home plate). I considered fan interference but don't they usually rule that a hit? Thanks for the input.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coach&Blue
I am not concerned with hits, errors, or anything like that. All I am concerned with is how a person can reach first base regardless of how they get there. 1. Hit 2. Walk 3. Hit by pitch 4. Error 5. Fielders Choice 6. Umpires Interference (not sure if it is ruled a hit or what. Don't know if its ruled differently) 7. Catchers Interference 8. Dropped 3rd Strike. I always thought there were 9 seperate ways to reach base (Guy end up standing on base or crossed home plate). I considered fan interference but don't they usually rule that a hit? Thanks for the input.
This is usually asked as a "trick" question -- the "trick" answer is "pinch-runner."