The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
I'm willing to bet that most here will call a strike on any pitch that is close.
Yeah, it is a bit difficult to judge what a strike is when the batter is out of the box! Makes it a bit bigger zone.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

25, I'm gonna have a strike if the pitch just leaves the pitcher's hand!
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I found video. Turns out -- as often happens -- the video was different from how I remember it. The batter wasn't really "bailing out" as I said -- he took a step back with his front foot, but then steps back toward the plate when he realizes time won't be granted. It's at about 1:00 of this video. (What the video doesn't show, interestingly, is that the 2B U called the balk too, a split second before the PU.) I don't think there's any question that the actions of the hitter caused the pitcher to hesitate, but seeing the replay, I'm not sure the crew had a choice.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 06.29.09: Ethier, Dodgers walk off on the Rockies - Video | dodgers.com: Multimedia
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 08:00am
Stop staring at me swan.

I think it's only an automatic strike in FED
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Yes this happened in a Legion game I was doing.

While the pitcher was in he set position, (R3 & R2), the batter took a step forward in the box and turned around and took a step back , then stepped out. The pitcher balked and all hell broke loose with yells of "thats a balk."

I called time and exercised the "Do Over Option." The HC argued that there is no such thing as a "Do Over" in baseball. I explained the other option I had was to eject his batter for attempting to cause the pitcher to balk. He insisted that I was wrong. I explained to him that the discussion was over and this is what were doing. I said I would be glad to point out the rule in the book after the game.

He spent the rest of the game reading the book and never asked the question again.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

It's a do-over. Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBR Rule 6.02(b)
If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a “set position” with a runner on, he does not go
through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the
pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start
over from “scratch.”
I should note that this paragraph is prefaced by the comment that this ruling applies only to MLB. The Legion rule book probably has something similar, if not identical, in approximately the same place (the rule on the batter).
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's a do-over. Here you go:

I should note that this paragraph is prefaced by the comment that this ruling applies only to MLB. The Legion rule book probably has something similar, if not identical, in approximately the same place (the rule on the batter).
I should note that I already posted this rule back in post #9 of the thread.

The rule (or the comment in this case) applies to all OBR-based games except National Association (minor league) games. They have a special rule that doesn't apply anywhere else. That is what is meant by "major league only." I is just to tell the difference between the bigs and the minors. The wording was added at the last rules change.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I think it's only an automatic strike in FED
It's an automatic strike (for stepping out) and then a second strike if the pitch was in the strike zone in FED, right?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:53am
Stop staring at me swan.

I think you can get away with it if he does it in an intentional attempt to get the pitcher to balk...I've never seen it called...but I think the FED rule does allow for a penalty strike and the pitch shall also be called a strike regardless of location.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:54am
Stop staring at me swan.

I wonder what you do though if the pitch hits the batter (FED)...dead ball strike?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I wonder what you do though if the pitch hits the batter (FED)...dead ball strike?
Interesting. Because, the batter would be moving into the pitch (since he's moving out of the box). And, isn't the penalty for moving into a pitch a strike, also?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 01:52pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post
And, isn't the penalty for moving into a pitch a strike, also?
If it's in the strike zone yes we can and should call it a strike. However the situation has already established itself as being an automatic strike, plus a penalty strike as the ball is pitched.

But, what would we do in the situation I asked above?

I don't think we can ever get more than two strikes though.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post
Interesting. Because, the batter would be moving into the pitch (since he's moving out of the box). And, isn't the penalty for moving into a pitch a strike, also?
Where do you get this stuff?

No, a strike is not called for simply "moving into the pitch." A deadball strike is called when a batter is hit by a pitch in the strike zone.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 01:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I believe it is a rule in Calvin Ball.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post

No, a strike is not called for simply "moving into the pitch." A deadball strike is called when a batter is hit by a pitch in the strike zone.
I had someone tell me it was a strike regardless. That's why I asked the question.