The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yes, that qualifies as "any movement that hinders." I said that if he stands still in the box, he is safe from interfering. If he steps backwards and moves into the catcher's way, then he is either leaving the box, or making a movement to interfere. Either way, that is interference.
You just made dash's case. Everything you said here is correct, and none of it mentions the batter's intent. What he does and whether that hinders are the relevant considerations.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Then, what would be considered to be "unusual" if it wasn't done intentionally? Such as, if the batter lets go of the bat, it is not "unusual" to let go of the bat with 1 hand. But, it would be to let go of it and have it in front of the catcher.

Maybe intentional wasn't the right word. But still. Give me an example of something being INT not done intentional while still in the box. And, I don't mean INT with the catcher intentionally(which is where I messed up in not making this distinction earlier).
No intent necessary. It either caused int with the catchers throw or it didn't.

If the batter lets go of the bat and it caused the catcher to have a bad throw to any base, then we have int.

Batter swings so hard that the bat comes around and hits catcher as he is throwing the ball and making him drop it. Did the batter leave the box? NO. Did the batter intend to do this? We will never know but, he did do it and it caused int, therefore it is enforced (or at least should be).

Another example is when a batter swigs so hard his momentum carries him across the plate. At the time of the throw hie was technically still in the box, but at the completion he had to step over the plate to regain his balance.

Batter: "I didn't do that on purpose."
Umpire: "I never said you did but, your still out"
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

Batter swings so hard that the bat comes around and hits catcher as he is throwing the ball and making him drop it. Did the batter leave the box? NO. Did the batter intend to do this? We will never know but, he did do it and it caused int, therefore it is enforced (or at least should be).

jicecone,

I'm with you on the rest of it, but on this one, under OBR I've got "backswing" or "weak" interference - ball is dead, runners return, batter is NOT out (unless it was strike 3, of course).

JM
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

If the batter lets go of the bat and it caused the catcher to have a bad throw to any base, then we have int.
This is something better explained with actions than words.
Quote:
Then, it is nothing in OBR at least and no outs are recorded. Only runners sent back.

Quote:
Another example is when a batter swigs so hard his momentum carries him across the plate. At the time of the throw hie was technically still in the box, but at the completion he had to step over the plate to regain his balance.

Batter: "I didn't do that on purpose."
Umpire: "I never said you did but, your still out"
Then, he left the box which is part of the BI rule.

What I meant is, if he is just standing in the box and does nothing other than standing there(minus any time to react and move out of the way), then no INT is called. But, if he does something "unusual" (as JM put it), then BI is called. And, if he does something "unusual" for this call, then it would probably have been done with some deliberation. Such as, he tosses his bat on Ball 4 and it hits the catcher's throw to F5. It was tossed deliberately thus his actions were deliberate. He INT accidentally but tossed the bat deliberately. If he ducked out of the way of the pitch and stood up afterwards, that would not be deliberate as much as it would be reactionary and no INT called. But, tossing the bat is more deliberate than reactionary.

That is all I meant. It is hard to explain what I meant in words. Much of this probably is better in person but I know how to call BI. I just don't know how I can better explain what I meant.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Is it the same on backswing, weak interference? I wasn't sure. But wouldn't be the first time wrong here, (no books at work)

GA, understood!
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:44pm

Quote:
Then, he left the box which is part of the BI rule.

What I meant is, if he is just standing in the box and does nothing other than standing there(minus any time to react and move out of the way), then no INT is called. But, if he does something "unusual" (as JM put it), then BI is called. And, if he does something "unusual" for this call, then it would probably have been done with some deliberation.
Exactly what I was trying to say. I fully realize that intent is NOT in the rule, but you can judge intent rather easily and interference while standing in the batters box is usually intentional, otherwise the batter would just stand there and be a good boy.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Exactly what I was trying to say. I fully realize that intent is NOT in the rule, but you can judge intent rather easily and interference while standing in the batters box is usually intentional, otherwise the batter would just stand there and be a good boy.
This isn't going to be a trend is it?
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:53pm

Quote:
This isn't going to be a trend is it?
Yes, I'm afraid we will probably agree more than disagree on most things. And for what we don't, we will agree to disagree.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25