Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_ump View Post
really glad to hear this.....been hoping they would get around to doing something on umpiring....but figured it would be some filler for the november to February time when there was no active baseball....

Love to see a regular series on life on the road for MLB and MiLB as well.....
Even though it is available on video, I would love to see the old Home Run Derby on that channel - you can't beat Willie Mays, Mickey, Hank, Killebrew, etc, bashing the ball for nine 'innings'. I like that format better than boring ASG 'contest' - in the old one, you had the risk of letting a strike go by for an out - as called by a real ump like Art Passarella. In the 'new' HRD, they can just keep letting balls go by until they find one they like..B-O-R-R-R-R-I-N-G-G-G...

There are also funny moments in retrospect too - like when they hand Dick (Dr Strangeglove)Stuart a check, all you can think is : DON'T DROP IT!
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Even though it is available on video, I would love to see the old Home Run Derby on that channel - you can't beat Willie Mays, Mickey, Hank, Killebrew, etc, bashing the ball for nine 'innings'. I like that format better than boring ASG 'contest' - in the old one, you had the risk of letting a strike go by for an out - as called by a real ump like Art Passarella. In the 'new' HRD, they can just keep letting balls go by until they find one they like..B-O-R-R-R-R-I-N-G-G-G...

There are also funny moments in retrospect too - like when they hand Dick (Dr Strangeglove)Stuart a check, all you can think is : DON'T DROP IT!
These were rerun somewhere back when I was like 9 or 10. It's how I learned who some of the old greats were.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 09:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

I watched it.

Palermo likes to talk (he's 59 - had he not been shot, he'd be the guy we would be talking about in terms of topping the number of games worked by Klem since he came up to the big leagues at 27), Denkinger talked quite a bit about the 1985 WS call he missed, and Bruce was funny as always.

They talked about admitting they missed a pitch/call to players, etc. and the three said they never admitted they missed a pitch or play on the field. Ever.

It was an interesting and entertaining hour. Shown after it was game 7 of the 65 World Series, which was an outstanding game.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't too impressed to be honest. Just an hour of swapping ejection stories and trying to get the guys to admit they miss calls.

Palermo looks and talks like he should be in a political office.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 03:32pm

But what I really want to know is....how was Bob? I mean, isn't that what really counts?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I find him arrogant, pretentious and obnoxious. Okay, then...he's not a boor .
Are you talking about Costas or Froemming?

I just think that he stayed in the game way too long...he took a spot from a guy who would have been in shape and actually gave a damn out on the diamond. IMO he only stayed around to get the record for most games umpired in MLB...and that is not a reason to stay around. MLB needs to start getting rid of umpires who don't measure up like the other pro leagues do.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post

I just think that he stayed in the game way too long...he took a spot from a guy who would have been in shape and actually gave a damn out on the diamond. IMO he only stayed around to get the record for most games umpired in MLB...and that is not a reason to stay around. MLB needs to start getting rid of umpires who don't measure up like the other pro leagues do.
My criteria for ML umpires would be -- can they rotate as required in the 4-umpire system? In other words, can the umpire easily get from D to second base when U2 goes out? Can the PU get to first or third easily?

If Froemming can do that, I don't care if he *does* look like Jabba the Hut. If he can't, well, then that's objective criteria on which to make that decision.

(An aside: I was at the Brewers game last night and learned something from the crew (about 4-man), which is always exciting. Bases loaded -- a reverse rotation. Gapper. U3 went out, U1 rimmed the back of the infield instead of pivoting in and taking the BR to second. Looking at it, I wondered why I'd never thought about it before -- the only call U1 is going to have is at second base and outside's a great place to take that call. Not that I work a huge amount of 4-man, but when I do, I'll remember that. And on a clear extra base hit to the outfield, you could do the same thing in 3-man with U3 not going out.)
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 11:27am

Quote:

Well, of course I was referring to Costas, as he was the subject of the quote to which I replied. Had you read more carefully, you wouldn't have needed to ask such a stupid question.

One thing Bruce Froemming never had was a problem getting around the diamond. As stated by me many times, Bruce may not be much of a physical specimen, but the man could definitely motor around the bases. After witnessing some of the newer crop of MLB umpires, I'm in favor of bringing back all the old, retired umpires! Give me Terry Tata to block, Peter.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So I wonder why Jack Nies called in the NBA this year at 71 years old and Dick Bavetta at 69 years old and Gerald Austin in the NFL through 2007 at 66 years old.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Jealousy is an ugly thing!!!!! Also last time I looked they (MLB) weren't asking for our opinions on their umpire crews...