The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Uniforms are covered by rule 1.11, so it would be inappropriate to invoke 9.01(c).

1.11(a)3 states: "No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game." This is the provision that prevents wearing caps sideways, etc. If there is rules support for this ump's move, that would be it. :shrug:

In pro ball, however, some guys wear long pants and some use the stirrup socks. So obviously "conformity" under 1.11 does not entail wearing the same pants and socks at that level.

I would not pick that particular booger.
And nobody else on the team wears one pant leg high and one low. If F8 wants to do it fine, the only reason for F1 to do it is to distract.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
And nobody else on the team wears one pant leg high and one low. If F8 wants to do it fine, the only reason for F1 to do it is to distract.
If a batter is getting distracted by F1's socks, he's got bigger issues than you can fix.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If a batter is getting distracted by F1's socks, he's got bigger issues than you can fix.
F1 can't wear white shirt that shows, can't wear one one long sleeve and one short, can't wear distracting sunglasses, can't wear multi-colored distracting glove, can't use glove with long strings on it, can't wear a batting glove. All of these are to prevent pitcher from distracting batter by his appearance. Why do some of us want to allow one pant leg up and one down?

Last edited by DG; Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 08:19pm.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
... Why do some of us want to allow one pant leg up and one down?
DG,

Uhhh.....

Because it's not "distracting"?

Playing "fashion police" doesn't much interest me.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 08:26pm.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1 can't wear white shirt that shows, can't wear one one long sleeve and one short, can't wear distracting sunglasses, can't wear multi-colored distracting glove, can't use glove with long strings on it, can't wear a batting glove. All of these are to prevent pitcher from distracting batter by his appearance. Why do some of us want to allow one pant leg up and one down?
Because the ball never comes near the calves.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What JM said .... I'll start worrying about F1's pants when he starts throwing the ball with his feet. And I've NEVER seen sunglasses I found "distracting" on a pitcher... EVER.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a new one: College boy playing summer 18-U wood bat. He goes out to pitch with that foil New Balance sticker on the bill of his cap. Mid-day sun reflecting off of foil equals distraction.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
What JM said .... I'll start worrying about F1's pants when he starts throwing the ball with his feet.

No, that's not me
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

DG-

I will give you the benefit of a fairly substantial doubt as to whether the conditions where you work are such that the sun could ever cause enough "glare" off of sunglasses, mirror or otherwise, to be actually distracting ... I'll merely repeat my assertion that I have NEVER seen sunglasses I found "distracting" .... EVER.

As for other "distractions": all the stuff that we are supposed to, BY RULE, care about being "distracting" are either on/around F1's pitching "equipment" [hands, arms, glove], or capable of being visually mistaken for [a part of] the ball, or both - thus my comment that I will concern myself with the style in which the pants are worn on the day F1 pitches with his feet.

Putting aside those items which are "distracting" BY RULE, my experience is that most times "distraction" is raised either by OOO umpires eager to prohibit something for the same reason a dog licks himself .... or cheese-seeking rats looking to mess with the opposing pitcher. I'll tell you the same thing I tell them in my games --- I have unmedicated Attention Deficit [it's true] - if I didn't notice it/ get distracted by it, it ain't that distracting.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1 ..... can't wear a batting glove.
For clarification, he can't wear one at all, or he can't wear one if it is distracting?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
For clarification, he can't wear one at all, or he can't wear one if it is distracting?

Depends on the rules set.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Depends on the rules set.
According to section 189 of the BRD:
Fed - The pitcher may not wear an exposed batting gloveunder his fielding glove if - in the judgement of the umpire - it is distracting to the batter.
NCAA - The pitcher may not wear a batting glove under his fielding glove.
OBR - Point not covered (PBUC says to treat as NCAA).

If you are doing an OBR-based game, are you proactive and have it removed when you see it, or do you not "see" it until the opposing team brings it to your attention?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
If you are doing an OBR-based game, are you proactive and have it removed when you see it, or do you not "see" it until the opposing team brings it to your attention?
The latter.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
So it wouldn't be appropriate to saunter out to the mound, slowly eye that pitcher top to bottom, and casually ask, "Does it get girls?".

So it wouldn't be appropriate to saunter out to the mound, slowly eye that pitcher top to bottom, and casually say, "That just flat looks ridiculous."

So it wouldn't be appropriate to saunter out to the mound, slowly eye that pitcher top to bottom, and casually ask, "Who dressed you, your coach?"

So it wouldn't be appropriate to saunter out to the mound, slowly eye that pitcher top to bottom, and casually ask, "Lose a bet?"

etc, etc, etc....

JJ
It's never appropriate to "saunter" out to the mound.....
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
I'll merely repeat my assertion that I have NEVER seen sunglasses I found "distracting" .... EVER.

How about disturbing?