The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

CSF - VA That was a balk

Top 5, second or 3rd pickoff throw to 1b. No distance and direction by non pivot foot plus a knee twitch. That move will always work if it's not called a balk. Never mind the 45 degree criteria which I don't believe is always valid but this one sure didn't meet it.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Replying to my own post. Watching the DVR'd game later I see what been going on at some of the other games and then I see the VA pitcher get away with some more balks. WTF.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

jim....they were friggin balks...his free foot was in the exact same spot as when he came set...no distance/direction...
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjayfire View Post
jim....they were friggin balks...his free foot was in the exact same spot as when he came set...no distance/direction...
his free foot was exactly in the same spot.... that is almost impossible....
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

So no one here has ever missed a call? (not that I am saying they missed it - I didnt see it) Do I smell the ugly jealousy germ? Why do we feel the need to bash our peers just because they are working the highest level? If they or anyone else miss a call, and its on video, learn from it. It makes us all better, including them. They critique each other after every game and eventually get to go over all of their video.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 11:19am
Stop staring at me swan.

so far this thread seems to be discussing the play, not the quality of the umpiring.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

is there a video of this somewhere?
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 01:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
So no one here has ever missed a call? (not that I am saying they missed it - I didnt see it) Do I smell the ugly jealousy germ? Why do we feel the need to bash our peers just because they are working the highest level? If they or anyone else miss a call, and its on video, learn from it. It makes us all better, including them. They critique each other after every game and eventually get to go over all of their video.
I didn't read of anyone bashing anybody. Where are you seeing this supposed "bashing?" Hey, if I blow a call, I get to hear all about it. And I don't think jealousy has anything at all to do with it. That's quite a stretch.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
his free foot was exactly in the same spot.... that is almost impossible....
His free foot didn't leave his footprint that he made when he came set....not that hard to picture
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
No jealousy here....the boys did a real nice job...but they painted themselves in a corner by not getting the balk early...
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I didn't read of anyone bashing anybody. Where are you seeing this supposed "bashing?" Hey, if I blow a call, I get to hear all about it. And I don't think jealousy has anything at all to do with it. That's quite a stretch.

I could be wrong, but the first couple of posts seemed to demean the umpires in the game. If not I apologize for my assumption.....
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjayfire View Post
His free foot didn't leave his footprint that he made when he came set....not that hard to picture
So you saw the footprint from the front seat of your Couch?... come on man... really and the camera showed us a view from up top?.... like I said It is almost impossible to make a move to 1st and put your free foot back in the same spot.... if you wanna call that balk that is fine... I know Im not. I not trying to argue with you, but trying to see if you understand where im coming from.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:05am

Well, now we don't have to worry about Virginia balking any longer. Last night was a very enjoyable ball game, and Virginia goes home. Soooey!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
So you saw the footprint from the front seat of your Couch?... come on man... really and the camera showed us a view from up top?.... like I said It is almost impossible to make a move to 1st and put your free foot back in the same spot.... if you wanna call that balk that is fine... I know Im not. I not trying to argue with you, but trying to see if you understand where im coming from.
Not arguing Maz...I've read your posts in the past and you are a solid poster and ,from what I can tell, you know your stuff...but I know you've called a 'no step' balk before (I guess I don't know that but I assume)...and this looked like a textbook 'no step' move...from what i saw, the pitcher didn't even pick up his free foot at all...it's really not that unusual...I guess I understand where your coming from but like i said before, this is not that hard to picture...
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Top 5, second or 3rd pickoff throw to 1b. No distance and direction by non pivot foot plus a knee twitch. That move will always work if it's not called a balk. Never mind the 45 degree criteria which I don't believe is always valid but this one sure didn't meet it.
Watching ASU v. UNC. RH pitcher from UNC is doing the exact same thing in regards to a knee twitch plus no distance. Announcers finally make a valid point, "If it started getting called now, there would be a riot."