The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pickoff from the stretch position

I did a search on this one and couldn't find anything specific so please forgive the question if it's been covered and I couldn't find it.

As an assistant coach of a 12U all-star team I had a parent ask me this question last night and did not know the answer (we play under USSSA).

Can a pitcher make a pick-off attempt from the stretch position? I would think the same restrictions as from the set position (e.g., must step to the bag, can't fake to 1st, etc.) would apply but I couldn't find anything allowing/disallowing it in a review of the USSSA rules regarding balks.

Any assistance in clarifying would be appreciated.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 01:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Did you check rule 8.05 in OBR? That is where you will find your answer if USSSA has no specific provisions.

The rules are the same. He must gain distance and direction while throwing to a base, cannot feint to first, etc.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 01:51pm.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Can a pitcher make a pick-off attempt from the stretch position? I would think the same restrictions as from the set position (e.g., must step to the bag, can't fake to 1st, etc.) would apply but I couldn't find anything allowing/disallowing it in a review of the USSSA rules regarding balks.

Any assistance in clarifying would be appreciated.
The stretch is a preliminary movement before the set. It's an option that still ends in a set. From the set position, the pitcher can step off, step and throw (feint to 2nd or 3rd), or pitch.

8.01 (c) At any time during the pitcher’s preliminary movements and until his natural pitching motion commits him to the pitch, he may throw to any base provided he steps directly toward such base before making the throw.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 02:15pm. Reason: added rule reference
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

???

Quote:
"The stretch is a preliminary movement before the set. It's an option that still ends in a set. From the set position, the pitcher can step off, step and throw (feint to 2nd or 3rd), or pitch. 8.01C"
Actually I don't understand your statement.

There is a wind-up position and a set position.

A pitcher can step off, step and throw or feint (except to 1st in in contact with the pitcher's plate) ANYTIME during the activity associated with the set position. He does not have to attain any actual "set position" to do any of these things.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Actually I don't understand your statement.

There is a wind-up position and a set position.

A pitcher can step off, step and throw or feint (except to 1st in in contact with the pitcher's plate) ANYTIME during the activity associated with the set position. He does not have to attain any actual "set position" to do any of these things.
Tim
I was confused a bit after first reading that too, but I think it means that the stretch position is the beginning of (i.e., part of) the set position. As such it has the same limitations/allowances as the set position.

Forest - If I've misinterpreted your statement please let me know.

Welpe - I did just now check 8.05 and that seems consistent with USSSA. 8.01 quoted by Forest seems to address it specifically.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Tim...After reading that, I agree it was not very clear. I think the OP was asking if the pitcher could attempt a pick off during the stretch motion.

I was pointing out that the stretch is a preliminary movement associated with the set position. The pitcher does not have to use the stretch. It's an option. He can just join his hands, come set, and pitch or he can use the motion known as the stretch. He still must come set either way. He can pitch, step and throw or feint, or step off while making the preliminary motion to come set.

Rufus and I are both from Georgia. He knew what I meant.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:35am.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Taking Signals

I thought the pitcher had to have his foot on the rubber to take signals before he becomes set. Not sure I understand "set". So, Pitcher places foot on rubber, brings hands together and pauses, then he can do pitch, step-off, throw to a base or feint.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
I thought the pitcher had to have his foot on the rubber to take signals before he becomes set. Not sure I understand "set". So, Pitcher places foot on rubber, brings hands together and pauses, then he can do pitch, step-off, throw to a base or feint.

Really?
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Really?
Really.

Feint: deceive by a mock action; "The midfielder feinted to shoot"

F1 may do this to 2B or 3B.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Really.

Yes, but he cannot do this to first and the statement was worded universally. So, again: Really?

There are THREE things any pitcher can do after coming set. Pitch, disengage, step and throw to a base. (OBR 8.0)
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really.

You must write the FED tests.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 11:58pm

Quote:
Really.

Hmmm...I think I'm starting to feel faint.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, but he cannot do this to first and the statement was worded universally. So, again: Really?

There are THREE things any pitcher can do after coming set. Pitch, disengage, step and throw to a base. (OBR 8.0)
Hmm...so he can't balk??? or call time???

Don't you hate it when people just pick apart a logical response...me too..
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Again, yes, really. Although the statement was worded universally, it was also worded disjunctively. So one of the things F1 may always do after coming set is to step and (throw OR feint) to a base.

Your way of stating the permissible actions is also misleading, since (by your reasoning) F1 may never feint to any base.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, yes, really. Although the statement was worded universally, it was also worded disjunctively. So one of the things F1 may always do after coming set is to step and (throw OR feint) to a base.

Your way of stating the permissible actions is also misleading, since (by your reasoning) F1 may never feint to any base.
Now you're just being stubborn.

The obvious difference is that my list is what a pitcher ALWAYS can do to any base and is the wording found in 8.01 (b)

Next time you attend an Evans clinic and when he recites the three actions I listed, be sure to stand up right away and say "You forgot feint!"

Last edited by Ump153; Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 11:18am.